Toronto Regent Park: Phases 4 and 5 | 134.1m | 39s | Tridel | Karakusevic Carson Architects

To me, the problem with keeping a lane for cars with streetcars in the middle is that a certain percentage of drivers in this city are inconsiderate, dangerous and have a bad habit of driving past streetcars with the doors open, because what's bouncing a few pedestrians off your hood gonna matter when you're in a 3 tonne SUV anyway? Now that could be solved if we were just allowed to use the cameras on streetcars to fine anyone who doesn't stop for a streetcar with the doors open, but that would make way too much sense.
All good points. My only concern is that a right turning car can block the streetcar. Before Covid and the spread of “temporary” bikes lanes, it was very rare to find any road in Toronto that had both a separated bike lane and a streetcar track WITHOUT another lane dedicated for cars/trucks. I can‘t think of one.

Last edited:
I think it is purposeful - to have the library site serve as a community "axis" leading to the park.

AoD
The new Library location is also less likely to attract the crazies. We rarely took our young kids to the Parliament St. branch as there would often be some guy muttering to himself, flailing about, smelling of piss and scaring the staff and the kids. It was also dangerous for children to walk too, crossing Parliament and Gerrard is not for the faint hearted. Instead we’d drive the kids to the Leeside branch for their circle time and other childrens programs - how come they can have nice things? Hopefully this new Cabbagetown location is far enough from the badlands and close enough to all the new families that the vide and scent will be much better.

I wonder what will replace the current Parliament St. branch location.

Last edited:
Total unit changed from 2973 units to 3070 units and total parking changed from 1297 parking to 1341 parking.

Rendering taken from the architectural plan via rezoning:

PLN - Architectural Plans - 1of3 - DEC 7  2022-1.jpg

Total unit changed from 2973 units to 3070 units and total parking changed from 1297 parking to 1341 parking.

View attachment 445511

Ok, let's see What Art Tsai didn't tell us! LOL

From the Cover Letter:

1671160667443.png

1671160715067.png

The Library Building will now be six floors; though not necessarily all library...........

View attachment 445511
It's cute how the rendering is 100% warm-toned brick buildings but we know, in reality, massive amounts of this will be grey spandrel. I hope it ends up more like this though.

It's cute how the rendering is 100% warm-toned brick buildings but we know, in reality, massive amounts of this will be grey spandrel. I hope it ends up more like this though.

I wasn't familiar with these UK architects so I checked out their website... lots of brick used.

Project page link: https://www.karakusevic-carson.com/projects

Here's one example of their work: Kings Crescent, London

Kings_Crescent_Est-3343_aspect_correct-1170x850.jpg

Link

Just for fun, here's their wooden model for Regent Park 4 & 5:

Regent-Park-01-1170x694.jpg

Link

The new library will be a nice change. The current one is poorly located to serve the area, as resident of Regent Park and most of Cabbagetown must currently cross Parliament and/or Gerrard. Also, the current location encourages vagrants and miscreants. I remember trying to take my young children there for story time and some loon smelling of piss and booze locking himself in the toilet and then once extricated by security, shouting and flailing at the front desk staff. As we hurriedly departed I promised my now terrified youngsters that I would find them a better library, and from then on we became regular visitors to the Leaside branch, where I would often ask myself, why do these people get a nice library when my neighbourhood has to settle for bedlam? I think the new Regent Park library being well located away from the pigeon park squat will be an excellent place for the community's children and parents to safely and enjoyably visit.

Last edited:
The new library will be a nice change. The current one is poorly located to serve the area, as resident of Regent Park and most of Cabbagetown must currently cross Parliament and/or Gerrard. Also, the current location encourages vagrants and miscreants. I remember trying to take my young children there for story time and some loon smelling of piss and booze locking himself in the toilet and then once extricated by security, shouting and flailing at the front desk staff. As we hurriedly departed I promised my now terrified youngsters that I would find them a better library, and from then on we became regular visitors to the Leaside branch, where I would often ask myself, why do these people get a nice library when my neighbourhood has to settle for bedlam? I think the new Regent Park library being well located away from the pigeon park squat will be an excellent place for the community's children and parents to safely and enjoyably visit.

You can be excited about a new facility without denigrating the poor and mentally ill.

City Urban Design forced some changes to the site. A full regular street and a private pedestrian path now cut through the courtyards at the east and west ends.

Before:
View attachment 445559

After:
View attachment 445560
So much retail on Gerrard! And an actual streetwall! 😍 This might be the best revitalization project in Toronto yet! And 100% the best phase of the Regent Park redo.

So much retail on Gerrard! And an actual streetwall! 😍 This might be the best revitalization project in Toronto yet! And 100% the best phase of the Regent Park redo.
I agree. It almost brought tears to my eyes when I first saw this. So much public land was wasted on "gentle" density and townhouses, at a time when the tidal wave of the impending housing crisis was very much visible on the horizon.

Back