Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

Made it to Regent Park on Thursday, and fortunately there was still enough of the building left for some dramatic demolition shots.

April 14 2011

5624948915_02c5bd5634_b.jpg

5624954585_c48d650b76_b.jpg

5624958193_2ae05786f3_b.jpg

5625579878_d6f298b0db_b.jpg

5625592464_240c7d2fd7_b.jpg

5625594914_d619ed1d45_b.jpg

5625596660_15627ae056_b.jpg

5625613992_21ba2dc4c7_b.jpg

5625030823_e243e7479f_b.jpg

5625036975_ff5e9a9855_b.jpg

5625065263_3faefe50ac_b.jpg

5625657408_0eec27a7e1_b.jpg

5625680312_2c3785c242_b.jpg

5625691670_a0cc1d4f9a_b.jpg

5625111135_1d224e5b0a_b.jpg

5625703364_997f5517e5_b.jpg

5625116771_6961255eb9_b.jpg

Will post some videos shortly.

Last edited:
What strikes me is how unfabulous the paint job is inside most units. Even as a dirt poor grad student I always shelled out for paint :)

What strikes me is how unfabulous the paint job is inside most units. Even as a dirt poor grad student I always shelled out for paint :)

Unless that's some kind of more recent parsimony. IIRC a lot of the Dickinson-slab spandrel details were once more primary-colourful, before resashing (or something) sacrificed all of that maybe 20 years ago or so...

The arts centre looks to be almost topped out. I like the nice, high ceilings on the first floor.
[video=youtube;4M3oOzfvyUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3oOzfvyUI[/video]

Last edited:
Regent Park Rising: How complete revitalization intends to return vibrancy and reconnect the community after over half a century of isolation.

Text and photos by Dumitru Onceanu

This past Sunday, the organizers at Janes Walk and TEDxToronto provided an engaging day of observation and discussion about the Regent Park Revitalization. Participants in both events included representatives from Daniels and TCHC, community residents, and inspiring speakers.

Finishing touches are currently being put to phase 1, and construction of phase 2 is well under way. Here is a sense of what has already arrived, what is on the way, and some interesting facts in between.

Built form:
New TCHC rental buildings as well as market condos have been built, including both rental and market townhouses. Can you tell which of the three sets of townhouses are rental, and which are owned?

towns1.jpg

towns2.jpg

towns3.jpg

The design objective was for rental and owned property to be indistinguishable.

While market units were designed with 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms, many of the rental units are designed with up to 4 or 5 bedrooms to accommodate large families. Presently, not all of the townhouses are occupied and many are still being finished. Here are some images of the laneway and back side of the townhouses.

TownsBack1.jpg

TownsBack2.jpg

TownsBack3.jpg

Employment:
New employment has arrived in both temporary and permanent form. Approximately 350 jobs have been created in association with phase 1. Some jobs were construction, sub-contraction and engineering related. Others are directly associated with the new retail which now includes Tim Hortons, Royal Bank, Rogers Store, and Fresh Co. Over 80% of the employees at Tim Hortons are residents of the community, and Tim Hortons has continued to hire more local residents at nearby stores as well. These are some of the first retail establishments to have a presence in the neighborhood in over 50 years.

FreshCo.jpg

One of the new condo residents pointed out an interesting fact about the Fresh Co supermarket. Although Fresh Co is known to be a more affordable choice for groceries, they have also been stocking items geared towards the higher income residents as well. This mix of selection is seen as an example of how the community is beginning to reflect a larger mix of residents from different socio-economic realities.

New park and aquatic centre:
Immediately to the east of phase 1 will soon be a new 4.3 acre park. It has yet to be officially named and is currently referred too as ‘Big Park’. Its unique features are what captures ones attention. Apart from the large open space, it will be surrounded by a new off-leash dog area, and a sizable community farm to complement many of the existing share plots in the immediate area. Many residents of Regent Park are new immigrants from countries where agriculture is an important way of life. Some have brought practical agricultural skills with them, which then intend to put to use in the community farm. This farm will be approximately located on the right side of the following image.

BigParkPano.jpg

The aquatic centre was also designed with cultural sensitivity in mind. Many residents come from Muslim countries where it is generally unacceptable for women to participate in athletic activities in the presence of men. Women of the community were instrumental in getting the city to offer women’s only swim times, and to add a specific design to the facility to maintain their desired level of privacy. This design includes a large movable curtain system which will allow the pool to be screened off from public eyes, providing completely private use.

AquaticCentre.jpg

This example was highlighted to demonstrate the involvement of the community, and the degree to which their input was taken into consideration during the design phase. It was also mentioned that many residents who have taken a walk through the completed phase 1 were able to point out specific features that they themselves suggested and were actually implemented.

Arts Centre:
The new facility provides performing arts spaces as well as operating space for arts groups in the community. Some of these groups include:
-ArtHeart
-Regent Park School of Music
-Cabbagetown/Regent Park Museum
-Regent Park Film Festival
-COBA: Collective of Black Artists
-Native Earth Performing Arts
-Centre for Social Innovation

These groups will be housed on the second and third floor of the facility, and can be seen in the following images:

ArtsCentreFloor1.jpg

Diamond + Schmitt Architects

ArtsCentreFloor2.jpg

ArtsCentreFloor3.jpg

The main performing arts space is unique in that it can be divided into three separate spaces, complete with partition walls and movable seats, allowing for three simultaneous uses as well.

NorthCrossSection.jpg

WestCrossSection.jpg

The main sign above the entrance will be an electronic ‘ticker tape’ pixel board. In the rendering, the coloured ‘stripes’ between floors were chosen to represent the flag colours of all the nations of the world, reflecting the international flavour of the community.

ArtsCentreRender.jpg

Preservation of the Dickinson building:
While nearly all of the Dickinson towers will be demolished to make way for new streets and buildings, one of the towers is being preserved as a testament to the award winning modernist architecture and design philosophy of the time. An interesting fact about the layout of the units in these buildings: Each is actually a two storey unit. In some units, you enter into the kitchen/living area, and then walk upstairs to the bedroom areas. In other units, you enter into the bedroom areas, and then walk upstairs to the kitchen/living space. Units also have both an east and a west view, making this a uniquely designed space. Local residents are not certain how they will proceed to revitalize the building, and thought has been given to the idea of repurposing the space for non-residential uses as well. The discussion is still very early in the process, and no final decisions have yet been made.

DickinsonBuilding.jpg

Demolition and construction is ongoing, and the community is reinventing itself at a rapid pace. While all of the temporarily displaced residents have the right to return into a newly completed unit, it was noted that about 25% of those residents chose not to return to phase 1, and decided to remain in the area to which they had been relocated. While it’s not entirely clear if some decided not to return because of the neighborhood, or simply because of the inconvenience of a second move, those who have returned expressed their hope that this revitalization will make for a more vibrant community to call home. Half a century ago, a giant urban experiment was unleashed on this neighborhood producing disastrous results. The second time around, we are again starting with a blank slate, and a set of urban design principles to work with. The community hopes that this time, we get it right!

Last edited:
Where do you live? Regent Park.

No thanks. I would be very skeptical before investing in this area especially at these prices. I'm not convinced this plan will work. Remember the first proposal for regent park? Sounded pretty similar. Demolish the old buildings and bring in the new. Even if they make this area mixed use housing this area will still be a hot bed for poverty and gang activity. I would not drop $400k on a condo to be standing in an elevator with some gang beaters, people of questionable smell and a Pakistani family of 9.

Sorry but out of all the neighborhoods in Toronto this ranks last on my list. Would you live and play in the area?

Many people seem to be dropping $400 K for a condo here to live and play in this area so it looks like this formula is working.

Thanks for the update and info., Dumitru!

Definitely not pre-revitalization, but post-revitalization, yes I would consider it. It's very close to downtown, will have a bunch of new, high-quality public facilities, and is priced a noticeable bit lower than comparable units elsewhere in the core. Not everyone will want to live here, but the idea that NO ONE will want to live here because of the 'dirty immigrants' and 'black people' (I'm translating your terminology) is offensive and doesn't reflect the Toronto I know. The presence of poor people doesn't make a slum, the isolation of poor people does. I think an integration of income-levels will make this neighbourhood unrecognizable from the one that has accumulated so much stigma over the last decades.

Back