Toronto Rail Deck District | 227.23m | 70s | Craft Dev Corp | Sweeny &Co

You know, I think it was suggested via proposed maps that KING and The Well where a urban park corridor down to an uncompromised rail deck park in more ideal and optimistic times (ie, pre-pandemic). Now that private developers that have muscled themselves into this project have presented this city what they envision for good or bad, I can't help but think they are building a premium residential wall that will tower over most everything both north and south of it. Replacing the unnatural barrier of the rail corridor with another one on the way of a pedestrain's jaunt down from Queen West to the Harbour Front...defeating one of the reasons of having this park to begin with. /sigh

There was a second virtual Community Consultation Meeting on April 4 which I couldn’t attend.
Anyone here attend this? I’m curious what was presented and discussed.

There was a second virtual Community Consultation Meeting on April 4 which I couldn’t attend.
The east segment near Blue Jays Way caused a big stir with area residents. A follow up session with the city councillor, developer, city planners office among other stakeholders will be held to speak about this segment in specific.

It was mostly the developers droning on about how amazing this will be and city staff trying to explain why the park is dead to area residents who hate this project

In the project, I don't see the developer building what's designated as park. Yet I thought they wanted more towers in exchange for building part of the park. It's still half-baked it seems. Frankly, it comes across as a play to build as much towers as possible and leave the park construction to the city.

The developer is offering to build a decent part of it, but yes, is leaving a large part up to the city to find money to build. The central, darker coloured part is what the developer is offering to build, while the parts labelled "Potential city owned park expansion" would be the parts the City is responsible to pay for.

1679499556508-png.463379

Would be nice to see more renders of the park aspect of this project. Those recent photos don't look horrible, much better than the original proposal with the super high walls along front street.

I think the whole project should be declared DOA and the lands effected handed over to The City, IMO. There probably won't a rail deck park in the foreseeable future this way...

...at least it will be in the hands of something that will try to make the area less of an eyesore. Er...hopefully.

The City could 'take' it through eminent domain, but ain't nobody going to just hand over acres of zoned, development land (pie in the sky though that "development" may be), for free. This was part of the initial Craft gambit from the beginning - fight the City, win, increase the value of the site, then have the City buy it from them at the inflated price. I'm glad the City - to date - doesn't seem interested in that kind of extortion.

Back