Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Of course you don't have to have a giant one like that and I'm sure there are varieties that are less messy. Also the perpetual shade is a blessing on those very humid summer days, like yesterday!

There are species and stocks that can be very low maintenance (little needles dropping, or cones, or branches). They can also be shorter in height, but surprisingly large in diameter - providing ample shade.

I made a point about them not being good for street trees because of what Northern Light just wrote (bushiness near the bottom). But also I think they can be a fire hazard. Having said that, I think this grey city could do with a few more evergreens. They go a long way to improving our grey streetscape and skyline.

Looking good, but I'm wary seeing roadside trees planted flush with the sidewalk like that. Even with Silva cells in place, heavy salting will be hard on them.

Many of the boardwalk trees planted in the last few years seem to be thriving, but roadside trees are particularly vulnerable in winter. Queen's Quay is poised to offer some much-needed respite from the cheap streetscaping and stunted, withered trees found through much of downtown, but only if we pay proper attention to growing conditions. I really believe that a solid urban canopy down here in summertime will be integral to this becoming one of Toronto's next great boulevards, as has been promised time and time again.

Bringing the thread (slightly) back on topic - are they really putting those trees at risk of salt? Do they salt the bike path or tracks? They're a long way from the cars.

Stayed at the Radisson Admiral last week, partially to geek out on this reno. A ton of workers trying to get everything finished.

Amsterdam is a big draw - packed during the early evening for the sun and evening for the hockey. I had to watch the Habs game at Shoeless as Amsterdam was jammed - even Shoeless was full(ish).

Presto lady on the streetcar said they were pleasantly surprised on the pickup on Presto use. New streetcars a very nice, smooth ride, although accessing the platforms means stepping onto the tracks to get around the construction fences right now.

I was impressed overall. QQ will be a (very fun) madhouse this summer. Bravo WT.

Bringing the thread (slightly) back on topic - are they really putting those trees at risk of salt? Do they salt the bike path or tracks? They're a long way from the cars.
They salt the Martin Goodman Trail so I am guessing they will salt this new portion of it too

It's a good question, and I suspect NorthernLight can shed more light on the topic. But we're pretty infamous for our excessive use of road salt through the winter. We shouldn't expect salt to leave our trees alone, while it rusts away our cars and pipes.

This site gives a brief overview of the issue, and this one has some photos of what salt-damaged trees look like. Unfortunately, these should look very familiar to any Torontonian.

As for Queen's Quay: if the trees planted are salt-sensitive, they are certainly at risk. As pointed out, the Martin Goodman trail is indeed salted, and to my knowledge the boardwalks receive some as well. If I had to guess, I'd say this is why the white oaks (pretty salt-tolerant) by Harbourfront Centre/QQ Terminal are doing well, while the pin oaks (quite salt-sensitive) have all failed... which is a real shame too, as the pin oak is a gorgeous cultivar.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the sidewalk needs to be dug up. After all there was such a short time to finish all the underground work.

IMG_6541.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6541.jpg
    IMG_6541.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 812
IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

IMG_6542.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6551.jpg
    IMG_6551.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_6542.jpg
    IMG_6542.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 806
Other than the really funny sly jab of using Wreck instead of Rec, what does this even mean?

I think integrating the ferry fares with Presto so you can, say, tap on on the 509 or 510 somewhere, get off at Queen's Quay, tap your card again and pay for your ferry crossing that way?

The whole idea of having to line up to buy a fare from someone in a booth needs to go ... although I think the last time I used the ferry it was early on a Sunday morning, there were no attendants and I bought my ticket from what was essentially a parking meter.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the sidewalk needs to be dug up. After all there was such a short time to finish all the underground work.

I've been staring at this picture for a full minute trying to wrap my head around why there'd be construction equipment in a rendering before i came to the conclusion that it wasn't a rendering.

As it stand a few hours ago, the trees on the south side are older trees than the ones planned last year and a good thing.

The bike path has its first coat though you wouldn't know it from Bay St to west of Simcoe St. The section west of Simcoe has the Blue area, lane markings and some other items as a test bed.

The path is only finish up to Paw Way where Ress intersection is still being rebuilt.

The new sidewalk and bike lanes west of Dan Leckie Way is finish 100% other than lines for the bike path.

As for the rest, didn't have a close look, but a lot of work to be done in the next 4 weeks.

Traffic lights have been installed at Bay St for the bike lanes.

All intersection from Bay to Paw Way on the south side finish. Trees west of Simcoe St still need to be place.

People where real clueless as they walked in front of the moving streetcars, crossing on the red and etc. Car drivers weren't any better and blocking most intersection.

Traffic light were doing a number from being short to long green at the same intersection and one reasons for traffic issues.

Final paving of the bike path could start late next week or the week after it. After it done, will the fencing be remove as it will be finish up to TTC tracks??

Last edited:

Back