Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

More delays - from the Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ul-wont-meet-summer-deadline/article23063664/

Honestly, anything that Toronto Hydro touches turn into sh*t. St. Clair, now QQ.

Additional doc from WT Feb Board Meeting:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo...et_and_cost_forecast___february_18_2015_1.pdf

Queens Quay Revitalization
Current Approved Budget $128,898,254.00
Anticipated Final Cost Forecast as at February 17, 2014 $128,797,515.00
Variance $100,739.00

The forecast Final Cost of the Queens Quay Revitalization project, as reported to the Risk Oversight Committee
(ROC) on February 11, 2015, was $129.15 million or about $0.25 million more than the approved budget. As discussed with the ROC, Management has identified approximately $0.25 million in design changes and value engineering initiatives
that will be implemented in order to keep the project on budget and pursuant to the ROC’s request has re-
evaluated the potential additional costs and credits that have yet to be resolved. The cost containment initiatives
and negotiations being pursued by Management result in an Anticipated Final Cost forecast of $128.9 million and
savings of approximately $0.1 million on the current scope of work.

Management also advised the ROC that Toronto Hydro Electric System (THES) has indicated it will be unable to provide permanent power to Queens Quay before the end of 2015, preventing Waterfront Toronto from achieving total completion as originally scheduled. Additional out of scope costs are anticipated for, among other things: catch basin relocations; contractor
mobilization/demobilization; extended utilization of temporary poles and power connections; temporary paving; public realm installations deferred until after THES’s work is complete; and extended consultant contract administration costs.

A contracting strategy is under development to minimize the cost of the finishing works and the ROC has requested
that Management quantify as soon as practicable the impact costs related to the delay ed provision of permanent power by THES. Quantification of these costs is dependent on a number of factors which remain to be resolved. These include the completion date of hydro infrastructure work that is currently underway, the final cutover date to permanent power by THES in2016, the contracting strategy and the quantum of work that must be deferred until after permanent power is available.
Conclusion The initiatives being pursued by Management to minimize Waterfront Toronto’s exposure to additional costs for both in scope and out of scope work can be summarized as follows:

1. Management will continue to analyze, review and negotiate the contractor’s submissions in order to settle outstanding claims at an equitable amount;
2. With respect to the extended time required by THES to complete its work, Waterfront Toronto intends to demobilize its construction manager and trade contractors in summer 2015 and determine the most cost effective way to remobilize resources once THES work is complete and no additional risk remains of delay or disruption to Waterfront Toronto
final finishing works; and
3. Management will continue to pursue third parties to make equitable contributions toward cost increases to work being
constructed on their behalf by Waterfront Toronto, and to reimburse Waterfront Toronto for the impact costs associated with delays for which they are responsible, so as to reduce the funding impact to Waterfront Toronto.

AoD

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how much pedestrians actually use this space because the new design has given over a HUGE chunk of the former roadway to pedestrians and bicycle paths. I think that's great as long as it gets used. Otherwise the whole thing will be running at basically half the capacity that could be put through there car wise. And we have some long cold winter months down by the lake.

It's very busy during the summer, the extra space should be well used and I personally will enjoy the bike lane. Once everything is finished you should be able to bike along the entire length of the lake within the city I think? Unless I'm forgetting any gaps?

Toronto Hydro are the real problem here. As noted above they were responsible for the delays on St Clair and also for the massive delays fixing up The Esplanade (note that the new streetlights are STILL not finished).

Hydro are also why the Lower Sherbourne project - bike lanes etc from King to Queen's Qiay was not finished (as planned) last fall and in fact they have just started MORE work at Lower Sherbourne and The Esplanade that may well delay it even more. A bunch of total incompetents!

Toronto Hydro are the real problem here. As noted above they were responsible for the delays on St Clair and also for the massive delays fixing up The Esplanade (note that the new streetlights are STILL not finished).

Hydro are also why the Lower Sherbourne project - bike lanes etc from King to Queen's Qiay was not finished (as planned) last fall and in fact they have just started MORE work at Lower Sherbourne and The Esplanade that may well delay it even more. A bunch of total incompetents!

Let's not forget those awful, rusty, crumbling and off vertical hydro poles either! Seriously, they need to account for this continued BS.

From the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2015/02/19/queens-quay-revitalization-work-to-be-delayed.html

Toronto Hydro spokesperson Brian Buchan said the decision was made late last year that the extra power was needed. The delay in making that decision stems from the “juggling act” involved with the project with many agencies involved, he said. Buchan said hydro workers weren’t able to access the site until after TTC finished their work in November.

“At that point we let Waterfront Toronto know the area needed some additional work for power needs for today and the future,” he said. “If we didn’t do it, it would cause more construction work. we’d have to rip up the street again.”

Let's not pretend that somehow it's a TTC issue - they have been doing hydro work along the route prior and the issue is they've made the decision and added scope halfway down the project.

AoD

Last edited:
It's very busy during the summer, the extra space should be well used and I personally will enjoy the bike lane. Once everything is finished you should be able to bike along the entire length of the lake within the city I think? Unless I'm forgetting any gaps?

From Vic Park to approx. McCowan, there is no trail for bikes on the waterfront. You could walk it, but there's no real path for most of it. I believe there's also gaps around Morningside, but haven't been out that far in a few years.

It'll be interesting to see how much pedestrians actually use this space because the new design has given over a HUGE chunk of the former roadway to pedestrians and bicycle paths. I think that's great as long as it gets used. Otherwise the whole thing will be running at basically half the capacity that could be put through there car wise.

There's no reason to use Queens Quay to drive across town with Lakeshore right over there. It only needs local access. The less cars, the better.

The trail will be pretty seamless end to end, however it could be further extended in both directions. In Etobicoke, Waterfront Toronto recently completed Mimico Waterfront Park in the Humber Bay area. Ideally it would be nice to extend that further to at least Dwight ave so that cyclists can avoid Lakeshore Blvd. Other than that the rest of the route toward Mississauga is pretty safe since it's on quiet residential streets.

Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 1.30.41 PM.png

In Scarborough, the only existing waterfront trails are in the Port Union area, but it's a huge gap from there to The Beach. Hopefully one day there will be a new trail at the bottom of the Sarborough bluffs, which I'm sure will be wildly popular and scenic. The section between Morningside and Bluffers Park may already be in the works according to the bike plan, but unfortunately there are currently no plans to finish off the rest of the shoreline from Bluffers to The Beach.

Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 1.53.10 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 1.30.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 1.30.41 PM.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 1.53.10 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 1.53.10 PM.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 1,102
The trail will be pretty seamless end to end, however it could be further extended in both directions. In Etobicoke, Waterfront Toronto recently completed Mimico Waterfront Park in the Humber Bay area. Ideally it would be nice to extend that further to at least Dwight ave so that cyclists can avoid Lakeshore Blvd. Other than that the rest of the route toward Mississauga is pretty safe since it's on quiet residential streets.

The City is studying it. See http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...res Park Trails/Lake Shore-Stanley Panels.pdf It's not feasible to go along the lake, but there is space to run the path along Lake Shore. My guess would be a bi-directional cycle track on the East side of Lake Shore between Norris and First streets.

In Scarborough, the only existing waterfront trails are in the Port Union area, but it's a huge gap from there to The Beach. Hopefully one day there will be a new trail at the bottom of the Sarborough bluffs, which I'm sure will be wildly popular and scenic. The section between Morningside and Bluffers Park may already be in the works according to the bike plan, but unfortunately there are currently no plans to finish off the rest of the shoreline from Bluffers to The Beach.

Just got something in the mail about the section between Bluffers and East Point. Public Consultation #2 is Feb 24. It doesn't expressly say bike paths, but considering there's a gravel road/path running from just east of Bluffers to Morningside, I'd imagine they'd upgrade it to paving along with extending further.

http://www.trca.on.ca/the-living-ci...ugh-waterfront-project/project-background.dot

We should be working towards a continuous waterfront trail from the Mississauga border to Pickering with fill. It's amazing how much linear parkland we've already added with fill at the foot of the bluffs. Now we need a paved path for cycling there. We should continue to add linear parkland throughout the waterfront and ensure that it eventually forms a seamless trail.

It's much harder to add fill than it used to be when the headlands were being built into the lake. Environmental concerns have meant that a number of other headlands and even some planned islands have been cancelled. I'd love to see the bike path the entire length though, so if engineers can alleviate concerns, I think, for example, an island running slightly off-shore from Mimico to Colonel Sam Smith would be amazing.

It's much harder to add fill than it used to be when the headlands were being built into the lake. Environmental concerns have meant that a number of other headlands and even some planned islands have been cancelled. I'd love to see the bike path the entire length though, so if engineers can alleviate concerns, I think, for example, an island running slightly off-shore from Mimico to Colonel Sam Smith would be amazing.

Maybe time to move these no-QQE posts elsewhere??

Back