Toronto Queen Central | 106.23m | 34s | Parallax | Arcadis

Vs the renders, it seems to me, every time I pass this project, that there was more of the original buildings to be retained. Whether or not I am correct, this project and KING Toronto remind me of this awful process whereby it's acceptable to simply keep the face of a building intact. It's really shameful.

...... awful process whereby its acceptable to simply keep the face of a building intact. It's really shameful.

On this subject:

I spoke to a contractor on a development that shall not be named, who was speaking about this very issue, albeit in a rather different way.

The contractor in question said this to me:

"You know, for all the money we're spending and all the delays and complications caused by retaining that facade in-situ; I could have rebuilt you the original facade, with mostly the original brick; and I could have rebuilt most of the rest of the building too within and underneath the new tower, and probably still come out ahead."

I thought that was an interesting take.

Makes me wonder what @ProjectEnd thinks of that notion in general and whether it would be broadly accurate.

The facade rebuild cost completely I agree with, but the idea that the whole building could be reconstructed and would somehow exist within the new build is just...not a thing. I'm not sure what this person is talking about there (though I may be missing some intentional hyperbole here!).

The facade rebuild cost completely I agree with, but the idea that the whole building could be reconstructed and would somehow exist within the new build is just...not a thing. I'm not sure what this person is talking about there (though I may be missing some intentional hyperbole here!).

No hyperbole from me; I quoted the person.

I did, however, also think that sounded like an overreach, which is why I tagged you to comment, as you would have much more experience w/such things than I.

The site from exactly a year ago today when demolition was starting from the back.
20220225_171810.jpg

Can someone explain to me this drilling process, and why a 45(or so) degree angle?
View attachment 461706

@Nateallen84

Tie Backs

The piece of equipment is a Tie Back machine. Tie Backs are used to help hold the retaining walls in place. In some sites, where tie backs are not possible (either physically due to a conflict under the ground, or due to the inability to reach an acceptable tie back agreement with the adjoining property owner), steel girders may have to be used in corners, or between opposing walls, to secure the perimeters of the retaining walls. More information on the entire process can be found at the following URL for tie-backs construction:

Queen Central 💁🏼‍♂️

The name of this project always feels to me like it belongs in the Village. Heheh

Back