Toronto Quayside | ?m | ?s | Dream

100%

Each of the firms listed (architecture) is capable of delivering a great project..............but each has produced, if not outright clunkers, some 'meh' stuff.

I don't want anyone's 'meh' moment on this site!

Hard to argue with that.

I can't help but think the 'lead architect' in a few of these cases will come up with something that will be heavily watered down with the local firm they're working with.

Tridel building a Foster & Partners design does not inspire much confidence.

I was going to say, it's Dream or bust based on that list for me. What a trio -- that's as good as it gets.

Looks to be the best combo to me too.

I would only caveat that by saying no firm fails to have an off-day/project; and some exceed expectations, which is why I would strongly prefer to see the submissions made public in advance.

Hard to argue with that.

I can't help but think the 'lead architect' in a few of these cases will come up with something that will be heavily watered down with the local firm they're working with.

Tridel building a Foster & Partners design does not inspire much confidence.
I have more faith in Tridel and F&P over Mattamy and MVRDV/Cobe. And we all know Mattamy has a good chance since they are besties with Ford....

I have more faith in Tridel and F&P over Mattamy and MVRDV/Cobe. And we all know Mattamy has a good chance since they are besties with Ford....
Friendship with politicians didn't help Mattamy the first time around when Sidewalk was chosen over them. Besides, all those firms listed above have good relations with politicians, shouldn't be fooled just because Mattamy's political donations get reported on more by the media.

I hope that unlike the first RFP, the public actually gets to see what each of the firms proposed and see what criteria the winning bid was selected on. There was next to no transparency in the first RFP. I'm not even sure if Mattamy's original bid was ever even made public knowledge or just casually leaked by industry insiders during the Sidewalk backlash.

Shortlist here.

• Hines Canada Management II ULC: Hines Canada with Tridel Builders Inc. and lead architect Foster + Partners.
  • KMT Quayside Developments Inc.: Kilmer, Mattamy and Tricon and lead architect MVRDV, Cobe.
  • Quayside Impact LP: Dream Unlimited Corp. and Great Gulf with lead architects Adjaye Associates, Alison Brooks Architects, Henning Larsen
  • The Daniels Corporation and Hullmark Developments Ltd.: The Daniels Corporation and Hullmark Developments with lead architect Diamond Schmitt
Top 3 are 😍 I hope Daniel doesn't win after what they did to the waterfront.

Back