362     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 713     1 

Toronto Public Library Catch-All

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't find a spot where we discussed the overhaul of Albert Cambell District Library in Scarborough, so rather than give a smaller project its own thread, I'm adding one where we can place
smaller Library projects that don't typically get their own thread.

Albert Campbell is located at Danforth Road and Birchmount.

A large branch with a very particular style to it, its been given a top to bottom gut job.

This is the before shot, from Streetview:

1663092882917.png

This is the before interior shot:

1663092956520.png

source: https://vikpahwa.com/20200702-the-a...uring-that-it-will-never-look-the-same-again/

Now the After:

1663093075324.png

Source: https://vikpahwa.com/tag/albert-campbell-library/

1663093169461.png

Source: https://weeklyvoice.com/albert-campbell-library-in-scarborough-reopens/

Last edited:
Well, the grey is in keeping with Scarborough joining Toronto. ;)

I think something similar to the wood finish they used on the interior ceilings would have been nice on the exterior to offer some warmth, while updating away from the orange colour of the 70s.

I don't know what spaces they repurposed for sure, but I have an idea..........(they say they added about 8,000ft to the public space within the building, without adding an addition)

When I was little, you could rent film projectors from this branch, which had a large audio visual library resource in the basement.

I don't recall any commercial length films off hand, though they may have had those, but I remember my grandfather renting a projector and hauling film reels for me and my friends to watch in the basement.

Last edited:
I don't know what spaces they repurposed for sure, but I have an idea..........(they say they added about 8,000ft to the public space within the building, without adding an addition)

When I was little, you could rent film projectors from this branch, which had a large audio visual library resource in the basement.

I don't recall any commercial length films off hand, though they may have had those, but I remember my grandfather renting a projector and hauling film reels for me and my friends to watch in the basement.

Now there’s a memory…. a 12 year old me schlepping one of those big Bell and Howell projectors and some metal NFB film cannisters to the bus stop….. (yes, in winter)…….definitely much easier to pull my tablet out of my laptop and stream the content. Kids these days….

TPL is doing an excellent job IMHO of reinventing Libraries as a useful and well used public space that doesn’t consist solely of rows and rows of books (with a great online interlibrary catalogue and hold system, the books are still available). I’m glad they kept the clunky exterior architecture - some future generation may appreciate the quirky eighties style. For now, it’s an up to date and attractive interior space.

- Paul

I’m not sure I like the redo - at least from the above pictures. The branch pre-reno had warmth and character (even if it was over-the-top-orange) that the new one appears to lack. Even the interior seems to have received the Toronto-grey treatmeant.

Hopefully the functionality and accessibility of the building has improved though.

Timely new thread, as I stumbled on the TPL capital plan in the course of my regular work and saw our neighbourhood Weston library is due for a $10M upgrade 2024-2026, with planning ongoing. Our residents' association is going to see how we can get a peak into the planning. Weston is a Carnegie library with a 1970s/80s addition, so some good opportunity for a restoration and expansion to serve a growing, in-need and diverse neighbourhood.
weston.jpg
6227f18132c44.image.jpg

Additional coverage on the TPL: Albert Campbell branch in Scarborough. Photos available in the article:

I've been itching to borrow some books from the library, but the inability to place a hold or even find where a book is in the system at the moment is just sad.

^Two members of my family are former TPL employees. They (and all other past employees, it seems - not sure about current employees) have been offered a free identity/credit monitoring subscription for two years in light of the personal information that was hacked. Arguably the perps got enough information to potentially secure credit using the stolen identities.

Not having the borrowing and catalogue functions are bad enough, but that's a very worrying aspect of this event.

I wonder whether the TPL IT infrastructure had been starved by John Tory regime's "economy". Hopefully the Library comes out of this with a good, secure IT system.

- Paul

Good thread as Libraries can often be the heart of a community. That said, what does this have to do with transportation? Perhaps moving it over to another another sub-forum like buildings would be a good idea?

^Two members of my family are former TPL employees. They (and all other past employees, it seems - not sure about current employees) have been offered a free identity/credit monitoring subscription for two years in light of the personal information that was hacked. Arguably the perps got enough information to potentially secure credit using the stolen identities.

Not having the borrowing and catalogue functions are bad enough, but that's a very worrying aspect of this event.

I wonder whether the TPL IT infrastructure had been starved by John Tory regime's "economy". Hopefully the Library comes out of this with a good, secure IT system.

- Paul
The degree of the hack was extremely severe to have crippled services for this long, and to have compromised former and current employee information like that. It's really sad.

I'm pretty lazy to do a dig on previous city budgets but i'm sure John Tory's status quo, lack of action of anything mantra screwed the TPL from doing the various upgrades they would have otherwise would have liked to do.

It makes me wonder how unsecure the IT infrastructure of other city departments is.

Back