Toronto Platform Condos | 31.09m | 9s | Sierra | Kirkor Architects

We are working on our UrbanToronto Year-End Poll for the best buildings completed in 2020.
This is one of the projects that we expect has wrapped up, but we will require a photo update showing the last bits complete to be included.
If anyone is in the area, photos would be very helpful!

This one is not done yet. I believe they are still working on interior units, and exterior work around building still has much to finish. While Beer Store awnings are up, its still bare walls inside. Nevertheless, I live in the hood, and will try to get a shot of current status (though though it doesn't look a whole lot different from the latest shots above).

Some promised pics taken today. Lots of finishing work still to be done. I did notice what looked like some patio furniture on one of the upper balconies - maybe just for construction guys to use? Not sure any units are livable yet.

IMG_20201219_132615_6.jpg
IMG_20201219_132601_8.jpg
IMG_20201219_132527_0.jpg
IMG_20201219_132409_2.jpg
IMG_20201219_132327_8.jpg
IMG_20201219_132301_0.jpg

Aesthetically awful, but mainly magnified that way because of how poorly the grade level Beer Store retail is to be presented. If it offered some more standard retail transparency I would have grudgingly granted it a mehhh somewhat passible remark based on urban format on major thoroughfare rating but clearly that's not the case.

I have a friend who bought a unit here. I'll probably visit him sometime in 2021 and need to think of some compliments perhaps on the interior when we get there.

Photos Taken Jan 15th, 2021

The only material change is that they are now working on the streetscape.

1610755249583.png

This paving at the entrance must be temporary...........wow is that an awful job: It's not just that it's not grouted.........it's uneven, and not correctly sloped, it's a trip hazard and a puddle collector.

1610755336368.png

1610755443024.png

What can be said about the Beer Store frontage that hasn't been? Ugh!

1610755482437.png

Ugh. I can only hope that time softens its edges and I forget how disappointed I was by this thing's imposition on that corner. At least it will help bring more people and commerce to that stretch of the Danforth.

But that Beer Store frontage..... depressing and grim, innit.

On the positive side - nice big sidewalk planters. Hope they plant nice big trees!
Yes they are big planters, taking up a lot of sidewalk space. They are also in the way of the path of travel for pedestrians walking east. Not to mention the S-turn now required as you pass the brick columns (?) in front of the building to the west
A0C2638F-7554-4223-BBBB-F91C0FD9A72D.jpeg
EBCED768-907C-43A0-A4C4-47474E249836.jpeg

Looking west
90BB1373-544E-4494-AF22-C30B077A96E3.jpeg

Eventually the City will widen the sidewalk to the west when the neighbouring property redevelops or through expropriation. Till then, enjoy this little chicane.

Planters are fairly pedestrian unfriendly. Especially in the days when one is required to keep a 2 metre distances from everyone else...

Yes they are big planters, taking up a lot of sidewalk space. They are also in the way of the path of travel for pedestrians walking east. Not to mention the S-turn now required as you pass the brick columns (?) in front of the building to the west

Looking west
View attachment 311689

Eventually the City will widen the sidewalk to the west when the neighbouring property redevelops or through expropriation. Till then, enjoy this little chicane.

Observations:

1) The cinderblock pieces have to go, they add no value to the property to the west and are intrusive for pedestrians.

2) Planters are likely sized that way to get to the minimum acceptable soil volume of 30M3 per tree. If you notice the little squares in-laid into the sidewalk where the planters are, that indicates the sidewalk is floating and the soil underneath is available for tree roots.

3) Planters are sited slightly in from the road, could be due to utility placement, but just as likely a salt spray mitigation choice.

5) The ends of each planter should have had benches/seatwall

6) The overall pedestrian through space (detours aside) looks to meet the City's minimum requirements. A quick glance at the road doesn't show a lot of additional space capture available, assuming the left-hand turn lane at Greenwood is retained. This has been a relatively light pedestrian zone for the Danforth in the past; but given the bike lanes, the intensification etc. That may change, more space would certainly be ideal.

7) Curiously, to me, the sidewalks on the north side appear to be 1M wider. (~6M vs ~5M)

Back