Toronto Platform Condos | 31.09m | 9s | Sierra | Kirkor Architects

Nice to see some action on the Danforth with this site and the Diam Developments project closer to Main Street.

This will improve this corner greatly! I have been wondering for long time why the Danforth has been so slow to densify. Especially between Pape/Jones and Broadview.

Great news overall. Seems a bit steep though at an average price of $550/foot.

I think that is what Carmelina was selling for near the end, debatable which location is better. Sierra is more experienced than the Tre Whoever guys that did Carmelina if that matters.

One man or woman's "undesirables" is another's brother or sister, son or daugther.

I agree that "undesirables" could be misconstrued as insensitive. Regardless, it is a cold, unfriendly intersection that is a magnet for prostitution and drug peddling and where two shootings have occurred in the last six years.

This will improve this corner greatly! I have been wondering for long time why the Danforth has been so slow to densify. Especially between Pape/Jones and Broadview.

There was recently an article on this in Novae Res Urbis. Basically, hard to assemble the small parcels, and many of the parcels aren't particularly deep.

Danforth

There was recently an article on this in Novae Res Urbis. Basically, hard to assemble the small parcels, and many of the parcels aren't particularly deep.

It depends how big & deep pocketed the developer is...
Everything is happening in due time.
I do not think , that the Danforth turn will be in very distant future. May be , it is starting to happen already now...

I think it's more than the inability to assemble small parcels. Look at the new LCBO and Shoppers Drug Mart buildings that went in on the north side between Chester and Broadview. Both are large 2 storey structures where 2-3 more floors of residential units could have easily been added above them. It's much cheaper to bring more residents to existing subway infrastructure vs. building new subways and yet we end up with this - I blame the local councillor and her fellow city councillors for lacking the political will to expedite development along the bloor/danforth 'Avenues'

I think it's more than the inability to assemble small parcels. Look at the new LCBO and Shoppers Drug Mart buildings that went in on the north side between Chester and Broadview. Both are large 2 storey structures where 2-3 more floors of residential units could have easily been added above them. It's much cheaper to bring more residents to existing subway infrastructure vs. building new subways and yet we end up with this - I blame the local councillor and her fellow city councillors for lacking the political will to expedite development along the bloor/danforth 'Avenues'

Okay, but you're talking about something different, which is heights more in line with traditional Danforth development, rather than the midrise projects discussed in Novae Res Urbis or the project that is the subject of this thread. I agree that those two sites should have been at least three storeys. Part of the problem there is that the landlords each secured tenants who are notorious in their preference for single-storey boxes where the opportunity exists. I'm also not sure that the economics of an extra floor or two are worth it - can be expensive to build, potentially impacts ceiling heights on the ground level, and hard(er) to lease to ground floor tenants. Also, the entrance to Playter Estates is likely not the best spot on the Danforth to try additional height on for size - better to establish precedent elsewhere on the Danforth. IIRC, there was a major battle in the 1980s for the old used car lot at Danforth and Jackson, where an apartment building proposal was defeated (and the site eventually became Carrot Common).

I agree that the City talks a lot of nice talk about midrise development, but fails to back up its words with concrete action.

I agree that the City talks a lot of nice talk about midrise development, but fails to back up its words with concrete action.
Speaking of that same area, the City has purchased the lot on the corner of Danforth and Playter for...a parking lot. Again, so much for midrise development.

If it was easy to plop some extra floors residential on top it would be done more often. Two very different markets. Few companies specialize in both. The building's structure would be more expensive, more complex and, with a compromised commercial floor area compared to this cheap, disposable, big box stores.

…which is why we need bylaws that stipulate minimum density on main streets. A single-storey LCBO or Shoppers Drug Mart over a full site could always be a two-storey retail unit with a "compromised commercial floor area" with more development above it. If retailers like the LCBO don't want to deal with developments that complex, screw 'em. They don't have to buy and build, they can always lease space in other developments. Otherwise, if they do buy, they can partner with a developer that can manage a multi-use project.

As a crown corporation, the LCBO should develop in line with other directives of the provincial government, including the Places To Grow act which stipulates intensification. The LCBO should be a model corporate citizen when it comes to urbanism, not a pariah.

Back