News   Apr 24, 2024
 929     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

U of T: Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics (50 St George St, ?s, Morphosis/Teeple)

I am just saying that I believe having both first and last names in the firm's name is too personal for projects that person has not had a part in.

Fair enough.
Either way, I don't see it as a necessary requirement....also as was previously stated, depending on the size of the firm and organizational set up (studio, department, etc.), it is unlikely that the firms namesake is involved in more than a handful of projects. In a studio set-up, they (ie: namesake) would drop-in on, or have presented to them, every/most projects and critique accordingly, before flitting off to some far flung destination to review their construction progress, or lecture, teach etc. or all of the above. Not typical for Canadian firms.

That being said they are already referred to by their acronym ZHA.

The page doesn't look removed as much as it is just empty. The link still seems to work. Their twitter looks pretty active for the department. I don't use twitter, but I would consider tweeting them possibly to find out. My guess is it's just early days still and the page will be revamped.

The page doesn't look removed as much as it is just empty. The link still seems to work. Their twitter looks pretty active for the department. I don't use twitter, but I would consider tweeting them possibly to find out. My guess is it's just early days still and the page will be revamped.

I'm getting a 404. There used to be content on that page. It was taken down for some reason. I did ask on Twitter. Awaiting a response.

I would love to see the department moved to a new spot on the U of T site: the southeast corner of Bloor and Spadina beside the UTS rebuild. Possibly the problem with the proposed rebuild at the 50 St. George site is, what do you do with the very specialized equipment from the astrophysics department while the building onsite is being demolished then rebuilt? It makes more sense to me that, if they were to include a 200-seat permanent planetarium in a rebuilt facility, that they'd do it where transit facilities would make it easy for the public to attend shows. Putting it adjacent to Spadina subway station would certainly make that possible, and it would also give the U of T a signature building on the northwest corner of their St. George campus.

So, chop chop U of T, this advice is free. Don't waste your time on other plans!

I would love to see the department moved to a new spot on the U of T site: the southeast corner of Bloor and Spadina beside the UTS rebuild. Possibly the problem with the proposed rebuild at the 50 St. George site is, what do you do with the very specialized equipment from the astrophysics department while the building onsite is being demolished then rebuilt? It makes more sense to me that, if they were to include a 200-seat permanent planetarium in a rebuilt facility, that they'd do it where transit facilities would make it easy for the public to attend shows. Putting it adjacent to Spadina subway station would certainly make that possible, and it would also give the U of T a signature building on the northwest corner of their St. George campus.

So, chop chop U of T, this advice is free. Don't waste your time on other plans!

The problem is that it would be far away from the rest of the sciences - particularly physics at McLellan Physical. What's good for the planetarium isn't necessarily good for the other aspects of the program.

AoD

Not sure how important it is to have a new planetarium on/near U of T. Isn't the programming the real function/driver, that is to say "theatre of the cosmos" for/to inspire public consumption? A new "planet toronto" venue (with great programming) might be a not so minor destination for visitors if done right. So maybe it could help prop up new or almost forgotten 'places' (even transit challenged presently) such as east bayfront or poor Ontario Place? Maybe even the Distillery District... enjoy a couple of craft brews, down some mussels and weave ur way to a "Mars Landing" with PFloyd sound track of course ;-)

Only mention East Bayfront because it needs some destination stuff. Maybe SidewalkLabs will chip in (yeah right). It would require playing the "fame game" of course... but a great planetarium should (has) be able to play that game.

Last edited:
Not sure how important it is to have a new planetarium on/near U of T. Isn't the programming the real function/driver, that is to say "theatre of the cosmos" for/to inspire public consumption? A new "planet toronto" venue (with great programming) might be a not so minor destination for visitors if done right. So maybe it could help prop up new or almost forgotten 'places' (even transit challenged presently) such as east bayfront or poor Ontario Place? Maybe even the Distillery District... enjoy a couple of craft brews, down some mussels and weave ur way to a "Mars Landing" with PFloyd sound track of course ;-)

Only mention East Bayfront because it needs some destination stuff. Maybe SidewalkLabs will chip in (yeah right). It would require playing the "fame game" of course... but a great planetarium should (has) be able to play that game.

Probably not important for the planetarium in and on itself - though I think there is merit for it to cluster with the OSC (my ideal choice if not for distance is David Dunlap) - it is not just about the planetarium - but astronomy and spacex in general.

AoD

The problem is that it would be far away from the rest of the sciences - particularly physics at McLellan Physical. What's good for the planetarium isn't necessarily good for the other aspects of the program.

AoD
Nah, those science nerds need the exercise. C'mon science nerds, you know you need it.

Is there a thread for this? Apparently Morphosis with Teeple got the job.
https://www.astro.utoronto.ca/about/newhome/

Project Status

In January 2019, architectural firms submitted their expressions of interest for this exciting project.

In May 2019, the University named a shortlist of six architectural firms selected to proceed to the second stage of the bidding process. They are: Behnisch Architekten, Ennead Architects, Morphosis Architects, OMA*AMO Architecture P.C., Snohetta, and Steven Holl Architects.

Short-listed firms were asked to submit a proposal for review by the committee, and the architectural team of Morphosis was selected in partnership with Teeple Architects.

Next Steps: Concept design will commence in May 2020 and will inform continued refinement of the project and its costs, and most importantly, will support fundraising efforts.

Is there a thread for this? Apparently Morphosis with Teeple got the job.
https://www.astro.utoronto.ca/about/newhome/

Project Status

In January 2019, architectural firms submitted their expressions of interest for this exciting project.

In May 2019, the University named a shortlist of six architectural firms selected to proceed to the second stage of the bidding process. They are: Behnisch Architekten, Ennead Architects, Morphosis Architects, OMA*AMO Architecture P.C., Snohetta, and Steven Holl Architects.

Short-listed firms were asked to submit a proposal for review by the committee, and the architectural team of Morphosis was selected in partnership with Teeple Architects.

Next Steps: Concept design will commence in May 2020 and will inform continued refinement of the project and its costs, and most importantly, will support fundraising efforts.

Ennead is definitely known for planetariums - Rose Centre (as ex. Polshek) and the new Shanghai planetarium are high profile examples.

Maybe Morphosis' Caltech project is an analogue, sans planetarium:

AoD

Last edited:
The update noted above is from the U of T Business Board: Capital Projects Construction Report

1612284272529.png

Link here: https://governingcouncil.utoronto.ca/system/files/agenda-items/20210203_BB_7.pdf

See last page.

Construction/tender is TBD. Given the U of T's planning cycle, at least a couple of years out.

Back