IMG_4947.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_4944.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_4945.JPG
    IMG_4945.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 422
The Best Laid Plans.... (or as originally written by Robbie Burns: The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men Gang aft agley... )

It turns out the visible lack of progress for PJ Condos has a cause. Construction activities are on hold, are suspended, due to issues making the underground connection with city services beneath the intersection of Adelaide and John streets. My understanding is that the application for the City to undertake the connection work (an activity for which the City is responsible, but are often carried out by a City hired contractor) was accepted, and the cheque was cashed. However there are now planning and coordination issues within the City areas responsible for managing the necessary road closures and associated construction activities, and that while these issues are being addressed, work at the site are stopped.

No idea how long this will take to play out, the required connections are made, and work can resume...

@AHK, Does this kind of thing happen more often than we realize, or is this a rare circumstance? I've certainly not heard a similar story before as the reason for a stoppage, but I also know that so many things happen behind the scenes that we don't get the details on…

My understanding -629 King Street West and 38 Stewart Street. The main building services for both towers are located in 38 Stewart (the rooftop of 629 King has Lavelle). After the buildings at 629 King Street and 38 Stewart Street were ready (or really, somewhat ready..) for occupancy, the start of move in's was delayed for a number of weeks. When the final water supply connections were being made to the water main under Stewart Street, it was found that the pipe was inadequate, and the resulting pressure drop would go below the minimum required by Toronto Fire Department for their purposes. A whole new water service had to be planned, engineered, and then constructed from the King Street side, through the basement to the 38 Stewart Street building to connect to the in-building services and distribution.

Another instance - King Blue. A large portable generator had to be used for a number of months at a great cost (if I recall correctly, around $20,000 per month) to power the cranes. Application had been made to the City / Toronto Hydro for feed from the nearby electrical vault in front of Bisha - but the application got lost, and no connection was made.

These are just two local incidents that I am aware of.....

They have closed the bike lane in front of Pinnacle on Adelaide and a regular lane too for the last few days.. pretty sure its just for sidewalk replacement in front of Pinnacle on Adelaide though.

My understanding -629 King Street West and 38 Stewart Street. The main building services for both towers are located in 38 Stewart (the rooftop of 629 King has Lavelle). After the buildings at 629 King Street and 38 Stewart Street were ready (or really, somewhat ready..) for occupancy, the start of move in's was delayed for a number of weeks. When the final water supply connections were being made to the water main under Stewart Street, it was found that the pipe was inadequate, and the resulting pressure drop would go below the minimum required by Toronto Fire Department for their purposes. A whole new water service had to be planned, engineered, and then constructed from the King Street side, through the basement to the 38 Stewart Street building to connect to the in-building services and distribution.

Another instance - King Blue. A large portable generator had to be used for a number of months at a great cost (if I recall correctly, around $20,000 per month) to power the cranes. Application had been made to the City / Toronto Hydro for feed from the nearby electrical vault in front of Bisha - but the application got lost, and no connection was made.

These are just two local incidents that I am aware of.....
Wow, frustrating for Greenland no doubt on their first build in Toronto, and I wonder how the water issues were missed when plans were vetted for 629/38.

Wow, frustrating for Greenland no doubt on their first build in Toronto, and I wonder how the water issues were missed when plans were vetted for 629/38.

I believe it may have been Ellis Don which ate the cost on the King Blue problem - as the GC it is my understanding that it would have been Ellis Don's responsibility to arrange the power feed to the construction site.

Darn--bummer. I was down here the other day and really noticed what a gap this development will fill in the intersection. Obviously the change here is massive, but it's loaded up on the west side. So it'll be nice to see something on the east side filling it all in.

AHK, is that information from pinnacle?

All of that coordination should have been done when submitting for SPA inclusive of the PUCC /Site Services.

AHK, is that information from pinnacle?

All of that coordination should have been done when submitting for SPA inclusive of the PUCC /Site Services.

It was from someone on the site, not from directly from Pinnacle. My belief is that, consistent with the experiences in the other sites quoted, this was an internal issue within the City - different departments not coordinating sufficiently during the planning approval and permitting processes - or may not have been aware of the potential issues.

Back