Toronto PJ Condos | 156.96m | 48s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

September 24:

MVIMG_20200924_105858.jpg

Great addition. Unfortunately it's one of only perhaps 3-4 attractive high rises in the Entertainment District and still not a single top shelf tower. Mirvish-Gehry can't come fast enough. This area needs all the help it can get.

The Selby is taller but neither use real bricks. Both use panels with an outer layer made to resemble real brick. So fake brick.

The Selby is taller but neither use real bricks. Both use panels with an outer layer made to resemble real brick. So fake brick.
Real brick veneers are embedded in precast panels on both buildings, so they both have real brick on the exterior, it's just that the brick is mounted differently and is not full thickness. There are types of precast panelling where the precast itself has a face with a brick pattern moulded onto it and then is stained to look like brick. There is a difference. I think the first complex we saw the latter style applied in the city was at Plaza's King West Life Condominiums. This is not that.

Real brick veneers are embedded in precast panels on both buildings, so they both have real brick on the exterior, it's just that the brick is mounted differently and is not full thickness. There are types of precast panelling where the precast itself has a face with a brick pattern moulded onto it and then is stained to look like brick. There is a difference. I think the first complex we saw the latter style applied in the city was at Plaza's King West Life Condominiums. This is not that.

isaidso what is your agenda? You were corrected more than week ago on another forum (regarding fake brick on 75 The Esplanade) and you’ve just said the identical thing again.

isaidso said:
“Great update although one small correction: this isn't real brick it's fake brick. These are panels with a thin veneer attached to the front that is meant to mimic brick. You can see the break in the panels.”

I corrected him not once:
Me: “You might want to check your sources, because you are wrong. While most of the new buildings downtown do use brick veneer pre-cast, there has been a number of discussion posts, specifically about of the use of real brick (and human brick-layers) for 75 The Esplanade.
A photo was included: “Pretty sure the bricklayer on the scaffolding, holding a brick.. works here. Note the first row of bricks.”

But twice:

Me: “To follow up my earlier correction of your correction, even pre-cast brick veneer isn't completely "fake" as you say... the thin brick slices used in veneers are decorative but are made from the same materials and processes as other brick. And the "breaks" you mention above are likely expansion gaps typical of layed brick. But as posted earlier, 75 The Esplanade is using "real brick".

You love to sound smart but... (BTW you actually acknowledged your mistake back then. I thought I had a bad memory….).

Last edited:

Back