Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge Commercial | 170.8m | 40s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I like the revised cladding for The Star (nod to the original)... but I have a major beef with the entire Pinnacle One Yonge colour palette (3 residential towers + commercial). The redesign of the two residential towers exacerbated this palette problem, and SkyTower is the worst offender.

Palette Problem: other than glass, everything is white. The horizontal trims on every residential and commercial podium, the tower trims, the fritted balcony glass and fritted glass on the commercial curtainwall and the entire Toronto Star make-over... white.

This whole village badly needs an infusion of some warm (or vibrant!) colours... any touch of colour to break this monotony of white. HPA knows how to paint with colour (88 Queen, Elm, Ledbury).

I'm really concerned about how the Toronto Star building meets the ground level. The current ground level is horrible, with the retail cut off and raised a meter or so above ground level, and it's at one of the most important corners in the city. One of the reasons I was excited about this redevelopment was the opportunity to fix this, but it looks effectively the same, and only accessible by a ramp at one end. I'm really hoping the Waterfront DRP pushes back on this.

View attachment 410449View attachment 410451
there is not much retail space now that they are cutting parts of the ground floor back. at this Point it's still early to find tenants. so i would assume that retail doors and access are not envisioned yet.

The new office proposal looks so much better for the site. Much sleeker and less of an overhang with the Toronto Star building which based on the renders, appears to retain its charm as well.

Decision Report - Approval Recommended for modifications and modest height increases to phase 4 and 5 of this development, headed to the next meeting of TEYCC:

1686577105188.png

1686577123127.png

1686577046658.png

1686577060938.png

Follow the link for the rest.

This would make a fantastic location for a university Camus! University of Guelph I am looking at you!

^I'd argue it needs more retail, not another university/college campus. The area (specifically east of Bay) is absolutely devoid and dead from retail options despite the heavy pedestrian traffic flows.

The east side building is very bland and unimaginative, just a bunch of boxes stacked on top of each other with frosted glass. should not be sitting on one of the most important intersections in our city. Why are we always like this??

Back