Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge Commercial | 170.8m | 40s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I liked the sealed in a glass tomb approach to this originally...

...while it doesn't really show this in the current renderings, but my fear now is that it will get the 401 Bay treatment. /sigh

I think the new approach is more interesting. I’m also ok with plain but well executed with good materials. I hope to see this built.

Huge improvement with the Star Building facade.

Can anyone tell if whether this looks as though it is keeping in place the current facade elements, or instead recreating it with new precast concrete?

Edit to add: answering my own question, from @emphur's post, this looks to be "metal panel". That causes me a bit of concern, but I still prefer this new design that pays better homage to the original cladding and which will add visual interest and variety to the overall development.

The incorporation of the Star building looks good to me. All it needs is a good cleaning up which the renders suggest. I would agree that the entire project could use a bit more colour. - my two cents

thank god. I hated the cheap reclad of the Toronto Star building. Looks much better now, has a lot more texture.
To be fair and to my understanding, they where planning to keep the original ToStar cladding, but encase it all in a layer of glass. In the end though, that probably would prove to be too expensive and distracting to the original tower. And not to mention, not everyone's cup of tea to put it mildly.

...while it doesn't really show this in the current renderings, but my fear now is that it will get the 401 Bay treatment. /sigh

The Star building is all that breaks up the sea of glass down there so in that sense this is a huge plus. Maybe one day this and 401 Bay can be restored to their original look. I'm assuming the original cladding will be destroyed so it would have to be re-manufactured a generation or 2 from now. Costly, but fixable.

Last edited:
Forgot to post this, from a couple of weeks ago...

20220502_120130.jpg

Nice, thanks.
The new design respects the concrete brutalism of the original building
and the banding on the new building podium visually ties into the grid on the old building.
I think I would like it better if the new building didn't overhang / encroach on the old building and respected distancing :)

I'm really concerned about how the Toronto Star building meets the ground level. The current ground level is horrible, with the retail cut off and raised a meter or so above ground level, and it's at one of the most important corners in the city. One of the reasons I was excited about this redevelopment was the opportunity to fix this, but it looks effectively the same, and only accessible by a ramp at one end. I'm really hoping the Waterfront DRP pushes back on this.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 10.22.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 10.25.15 PM.png

Back