Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge Commercial | 170.8m | 40s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

urbanyimby

Member Bio
Reaction score
Docs are up for Phases 4 (office) and 5 (hotel):

1592327785235.png

1592327809441.png

1592327828750.png

1592327850654.png

1592327890834.png

1592327962743.png

Attachments

• 1592327742703.png
    1592327742703.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 375
Looks like they're going to cover the Star building with more glass and metal ! This city and developer is not into preserving concrete facades! As you see the changes in the Toronto Star building in the photos up above !

Is it still possible for The One to change something up to add a few metres in any way? Or is this one in the bag for Pinnacle?

Nah. I don't love anything that messes with One Yonge Street, but further, why are there multiple, competing, glazing ideas? This looks like the goofy Globe and Mail tower meets the terrible Richmond Adelaide reclads.

Nah. I don't love anything that messes with One Yonge Street, but further, why are there multiple, competing, glazing ideas? This looks like the goofy Globe and Mail tower meets the terrible Richmond Adelaide reclads.
Also getting 10 Duncan and King Portland Centre

Where are these docs? Would love to read them :)

Holy sh8t... ummm exactly what happened to pandemic arrested development? This and 200 Queens Quay and... maybe one of the top eye candy render days in UT history.

And it's only 4:45 pm.

Look forward to Mirvish Gehry site clearing news in the next few minutes.

I didn't realize we were getting over 1 million sq ft of office here (~390k sq ft in the existing Toronto Star building + ~755k sq ft new build).

Other random thoughts:
  • Underground parking looks like it'll extend north under the Harbour Street extension to connect with phase 1/2? Is that normal?
  • Ground level of the Star building is proposed to be cut away to widen the sidewalk on Yonge and Queen's Quay. Not thrilled about the exterior changes to the Star building, but wider sidewalks are welcome.
  • Big food hall and restaurant space on level 2
  • Looks like the office floor plates in the Star building will be entirely disconnected from the rest of the office space? Floor plates in the new west office tower are really small.
Skybridge is quite something:
1_yonge_skybridge.png

I am a fan of this.

I did prefer the older plans that had a preserved and cleaned up facade of the Toronto Star building, similar to what was done with the office towers at the Yonge-Sheppard Centre. However, changing it to a fully glass cladding definitely makes it fit more as a piece within the overall project. I do like that they're punching out some extra space at ground level, it's pretty unforgiving currently.

It'll be interesting to see if/how this design gets refined over time.

I didn't realize we were getting over 1 million sq ft of office here (~390k sq ft in the existing Toronto Star building + ~755k sq ft new build).

Other random thoughts:
  • Underground parking looks like it'll extend north under the Harbour Street extension to connect with phase 1/2? Is that normal?
  • Ground level of the Star building is proposed to be cut away to widen the sidewalk on Yonge and Queen's Quay. Not thrilled about the exterior changes to the Star building, but wider sidewalks are welcome.
  • Big food hall and restaurant space on level 2
  • Looks like the office floor plates in the Star building will be entirely disconnected from the rest of the office space? Floor plates in the new west office tower are really small.
Skybridge is quite something:
View attachment 252024
It's not normal to building parking garages under (what will be) a public street, but it's not unheard of. The only one I can think of off hand in Toronto is the garage under University Avenue from Front Street north to St Andrew subway station. I suspect that the different between this and a park over a parking garage is that it will be easier to keep water from seeping down into the garage with the hard surfaces above it than it is when there are moisture bearing soils for plants above.

Agreed re: losing the Star building's exterior, (as much as a lot of people do not appreciate it, others do!), and also agree that the improved public realm resulting at the carved-away base is reasonable consolation.

The Star's office floors will be on their own as those floors simply are not high enough for today's office market, so the new building won't match them. (Also, no-one would build an office building these days on a flat site that would cause you to have to walk up steps from the sidewalk.)

Back