Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Dubai, New York and, Guangzhou are the only cities with 10 or more completed supertalls. Size is more than the tallest of the peaks in a skyline of hundreds of high rises and most people would include the CN Tower in the conversation.

Downtown Toronto/Yorkville has 25 completed 200 plus metre towers. There one more in Humber Bay Shores. There's 13 under construction. Chicago has 36 built and 2 under construction. It's a matter of those 13 under construction topping out.
Shenzhen has 16 completed over 300 metres with 5 more to be completed this year and next. There are 120 buildings taller than 200 metres.

Do you think that the City of Toronto may consider to give them an approval to get more few stories before 105? I hope that it will be the last one. There are too many tall towers to cover the financial district area because they are the legends of 1965 and 1990.

Im sure the city will grant them some type of increase like they did with The One. Not sure if they will get the 345m they are requesting. Someone with more knowledge of the council would be able to answer better than me.

I went to Shanghai and Shenzhen recently, it’s like New York City on steroids. Don’t even kid yourself, we are light years behind.
Who said we're even trying to? Shanghai has a population of over 26 million, Shenzhen 17+ Toronto has less than 3.

It'd be embarrassing for Shanghai and Shenzhen to only be at Toronto's level skyscraper-wise, but good for them that they actually punch their weight now. Still wouldn't want to live there in a million years.

Sorry, don't mean to yuck anyone's yum, but I can't believe there are some people who even *care* about the number of "supertalls." As if any people - aside from people on this forum - use the word "supertalls" when they talk about this city or other cities. When people on this forum talk about supertalls it's like hearing people getting worked up about the square footage of the university they went to.

Sorry, don't mean to yuck anyone's yum, but I can't believe there are some people who even *care* about the number of "supertalls." As if any people - aside from people on this forum - use the word "supertalls" when they talk about this city or other cities. When people on this forum talk about supertalls it's like hearing people getting worked up about the square footage of the university they went to.
Height geeks like supertalls ok. :)

There are skyscraper enthusiasts around the world and the term ‘super tall’ is definitely not limited to members of this forum. Why would you feel the need to insult those whose interest is in building heights, especially on a forum partly dedicated to skyscrapers? I’ve travelled to 54 countries and photographed buildings in over 300 cities. There is something majestic about skyscrapers. I’m surprised you don’t understand the appeal of that.

There are skyscraper enthusiasts around the world and the term ‘super tall’ is definitely not limited to members of this forum. Why would you feel the need to insult those whose interest is in building heights, especially on a forum partly dedicated to skyscrapers? I’ve travelled to 54 countries and photographed buildings in over 300 cities. There is something majestic about skyscrapers. I’m surprised you don’t understand the appeal of that.

While I don't generally express myself in the same manner, I too have been critical of height fan-boys.

The reason is not an aversion to height, nor a desire to insult.

Rather its two-fold; first, I view any obsession about anything as bad. I don't care if its the opposite sex, the same sex, tall buildings, model trains, sports teams, musicians or actors etc etc. Its ok be to be interested, and appreciative of any number of things, but obsession is bad. Two, there are real adverse consequences to a height-at-any-cost worldview.

Height itself is not a problem, per se, but pedestrian wind conditions are, shadowed school yards and parks are; the ability to evacuate a building in the event of a fire is; the cost to construct it (affordability is), the impacts on traffic/congestion/transit are etc etc.

Which isn't a writ large opposition to tall buildings, many of which I support. Its an opposition to myopic, obsessive thinking that somehow another 10m, or 10 storeys will make the world a better place. Probably not, and certainly not merely because of the height for its own sake.

I prefer to see posters express nuanced views, as politely as possible, on any and all subjects; but those who oppose nuanced thinking (whether that's anti-height, or obsession w/same) can be a source of frustration.

While I don't generally express myself in the same manner, I too have been critical of height fan-boys.

The reason is not an aversion to height, nor a desire to insult.

Rather its two-fold; first, I view any obsession about anything as bad. I don't care if its the opposite sex, the same sex, tall buildings, model trains, sports teams, musicians or actors etc etc. Its ok be to be interested, and appreciative of any number of things, but obsession is bad. Two, there are real adverse consequences to a height-at-any-cost worldview.

Height itself is not a problem, per se, but pedestrian wind conditions are, shadowed school yards and parks are; the ability to evacuate a building in the event of a fire is; the cost to construct it (affordability is), the impacts on traffic/congestion/transit are etc etc.

Which isn't a writ large opposition to tall buildings, many of which I support. Its an opposition to myopic, obsessive thinking that somehow another 10m, or 10 storeys will make the world a better place. Probably not, and certainly not merely because of the height for its own sake.

I prefer to see posters express nuanced views, as politely as possible, on any and all subjects; but those who oppose nuanced thinking (whether that's anti-height, or obsession w/same) can be a source of frustration.
Your comments are fair, but that’s not really what my reply was about. Of course the designers of buildings need to assess all the issues you listed and there are some who couldn’t care less about those issues in the interest of height, but the post that I commented on made no mention of that. Like you, I prefer a more nuanced approach to the topic and I was surprised that the poster equated a person’s interest in supertalls with their university’s square footage and seemed to think that the term ‘supertall’ was limited to members of this forum. I just felt that his comment needed a reply.

Who said we're even trying to? Shanghai has a population of over 26 million, Shenzhen 17+ Toronto has less than 3.

It'd be embarrassing for Shanghai and Shenzhen to only be at Toronto's level skyscraper-wise, but good for them that they actually punch their weight now. Still wouldn't want to live there in a million years.

Hold on........LOL

Those population numbers may be technically accurate by looking at the size of the named municipality, but they are not at all accurate.

Shanghai is 6,200km2 and change or roughly 10x the geography of the City of Toronto.

The fair comparison is the GTA (Greater Toronto area) which is only slightly larger at 7,000km2 and change.

The population of that geography is just over 6.7M in 2021 (so almost certainly over 7M today)

Shanghai is unquestionably more populous but the disparity is not what you made it out to be.

Metropolitan Shanghai is 40,000,000 people or roughly the population of Canada, spread over 14000km2 and change, or about 1/2 the area of the Greater Golden Horsehoe.

The GGH's population is in the range of 10.5M

Last edited:
Personally, I think we're comparing apples to watermelons here. We're Toronto, not Shanghai, not Manhattan nor Kuala Lumpur. Our urban fabric and density is mostly unique to our own...however far from perfect it maybe. So can we give this a rest...

...and moar pics of these buildings please! And thnkx!

Back