Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

The City is still working on the Lower Yonge precinct plan process.

Dated June 18, 2013
This site is located in the Central Waterfront Secondary Plan area. This Plan, adopted in 2003, is the subject of a number of appeals and is only in force for several specific areas. A precinct plan for the Lower Yonge area bounded by Yonge Street, Lake Shore Boulevard, Queens Quay East and Lower Jarvis Street will be required prior to any rezoning. The Lower Yonge Precinct Plan is underway and the establishment of directions and a policy framework are targeted for the end of 2013 and its implementation, through an area specific amendment to the Central Waterfront Secondary Plan, design guidelines or other tools, is targeted for the first quarter of 2014. The development of the precinct plan policies are needed to inform the review of the application. Consultation on the issues for the development of the area has begun through the precinct plan process.
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE25.64

I believe this proposal has gone to the OMB

Probably years before the city would be in a position to start dealing with "rezoning" in the area. This, of course, represents many, many millions in carrying costs for the developer.

The only real solution is the OMB - for the developer.

I also think that due to the approved projects in the area (precedent) the developer has a much better chance of getting most of what he wants through the OMB as opposed to dealing with the city later.

Do we know for sure if the project has gone to the OMB? And can the OMB actually approve this project and bypass the city altogether?

Looked it up. Yes, there is an open case before the OMB. No hearings have been scheduled yet.

The case description reads: "Pinnacle Payment in protect." I have no idea what that means. I googled it but came up empty.

The City website seems to make special mention of One Yonge, which makes me think they are working with the developer to get it sorted out. That may be wishful thinking.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=bd6ec6f87bdb1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD
The Lower Yonge Precinct Development page makes 'special mention' of 1-7 Yonge because that is the only development proposal so far in the Lower Yonge Precinct. That's not to say that there are not discussions going on and the draft Precinct Plan comes to TEYCC in mid-August and when it is approved I bet there will be lots more discussion.

Unfortunately this process will take many, many years to complete if it is ever complete. The city is understaffed and totally lacks direction from the top. The "transportation master plan" has just as much potential for success as the city's overall "transportation master plan" - none - the horses pulling the wagon are all pulling in different directions. We need strong leadership from a strong mayor and not only do we not have this now (by a long shot) there doesn't appear to be a serious contender to hope for.

IMO city planning should negotiate a solution with the developers rather than await the potential catastrophe of the OMB deciding to give the developers most of what they want based on precedent - and there is plenty of precedent to arm the developers to the teeth.

What precedence? The much shorter Pinnacle Centre to the immediate west or the midrises punctuated by some 40 storey towers Waterfront Toronto is developing to the east. This isn't York Street afterall.

Are you just guessing or do you actually have some insight on the planning study taking years and the developer being better off with the OMB?

Back