Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Ok so now I'm convinced that Hume is a UT member:

Daniel Libeskind’s 58-storey L-Tower is nearing completion (minus the L).

We're still not done bitching about that.

the Pinnacle Centre fills a lot of space competently but without a hint of architectural interest.

I've read this somewhere...

... Hariri Pontarini ranks among the city’s most accomplished firms. In fact, just this week the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada gave it the 2013 Architectural Firm Award.

UT news story on this yesterday.

But before any work begins on the plan, Harbour St. and Lake Shore Blvd. must be reconfigured.

The current back and forth in this thread for the past few days.

Now to just start taking bets on his username.

Toronto’s One Yonge development would add curves to its linear lakeside neighbourhood
Though not yet approved, the One Yonge Street project, at Queen’s Quay, is expected to include a mix of residential, hotel, commercial and green space.

Thankfully, developer Pinnacle International, which already has a presence in the neighbourhood, seems interested in glamming up the dated old corner. The Toronto Star building will remain, but will have some new storeys added on top. Around it and the proposed new towers will grow some green space and user-friendly open spaces.

Currently, the submission to the City of Toronto calls for six new buildings, with one reaching 88 storeys (a change from the original five buildings, with one reaching 98 storeys). Pinnacle plans two storeys of retail in a podium-like structure at the base of the hotel building. These Hariri Pontarini renderings show an elegant new swooping glass canopy protecting the main access point from the winds and weather of the lakefront; practicality aside, it would be a welcome addition to the straight lines of the streetscape in the vicinity. Only the egg-beater sculpture across the street offers any visual relief from the hard-edged concrete and glass of neighbouring structures.

Aside from current residents and office workers, surely tourists to the area will appreciate something prettier to look at than the embattled Captain John’s surf-and-turf ship and the near-Brutalist Star building with its utilitarian service wing. (The rendering above looks like they may be planning to just wrap that wing in a smarter, airier skin.)

Of interest is the introduction of a Euro-style street form called a woonerf, which is a street made for both people and cars, but on which the cars must travel no faster than human speed and where pedestrians have the priority. We’ll first see theme at the Pan Am Athletes Village in the West Don Lands, but there’s also been talk of them for the John Street Avenue and Bloor West stretches. So it seems, if the submission passes muster, that the foot of Yonge might develop a life of its own beyond being the gateway to Harbourfront and the Air Canada Centre.
http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/0...-curves-to-its-linear-lakeside-neighbourhood/

In the middle of the Star article was the following sentence; The city itself has also entered the fray with a site on which it hopes to build a condo tower that began at 75 storeys, but which has since been reduced to 65. Does anyone know what they're referring to?

In the middle of the Star article was the following sentence; The city itself has also entered the fray with a site on which it hopes to build a condo tower that began at 75 storeys, but which has since been reduced to 65. Does anyone know what they're referring to?
10 York Street

I really do hope that this project goes through, and that it becomes a supertall.

I personally hope it tops off at 999 feet just to piss off all the soopertall fans. The real story here is the transformation of a parking wasteland into a vibrant, mixed-use waterfront community. The teases we have of the architecture have looked very promising too.

http://toronto.uli.org/event/reaching-for-the-sky-density-in-torontos-downtown-core/

^ Should be an interesting presentation.

It really doesn't matter to me if it's a supertall or not. The point is that it will hopefully surpass FCP in height (which would likely incidentally make it a supertall). We need a new "tallest" in this city!

It really doesn't matter to me if it's a supertall or not. The point is that it will hopefully surpass FCP in height (which would likely incidentally make it a supertall). We need a new "tallest" in this city!

Totally agree! I realize there's absolutely no logic in this wish, but consider it a lonely impulse of delight. FCP has had the countries tallest title for far too long, given our unprecedented grow rate, it just doesn't seem that we've truly grown until we break that title, even by a few feet. Just sayin'......

Btw, its 7pm on a Wednesday and the parking lot at 1 Yonge has 400+ cars in it. The booth is turning them away. I guess there's a Leaf game at the ACC or maybe Lady Gaga, or some other attraction drawing them in, hard to ride a bike from the 905 with snow on the ground.

The point is these cars came from somewhere and they need a place to park in order to support the facillities nearby.

Hoping the designers of the 1 Yonge St project take that in mind.

i can bet you that there is well over 400 extra spots sitting empty under city hall, or the eaton centre, or even in the pinnacle centre across the street. and there will be even if/when the convention centre is expanded.

I don't doubt there are 400 empty spots under city hall tonight, but I doubt a 905er thought of that as an option when going to the ACC.

If parking is more than 500m away well I bet you think twice.

In my causual observations, the lot at 1 Yonge is 75% full most week days with working commuting folks. And full on summer weekends with folks going to the island, w/kids strollers bikes and coolers/picnic baskets, and full about 150+ evenings a year with patrons of the ACC, concerts and games.

There are no churches around 1 Yonge St so a Sunday morning is usually not very well used.

What do you think the city hall lot use is like? workers and tourists? have any studies?

Back