Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I'm confused about the layout of harbour street. It seems to have eliminated the jog up to lakeshore, replacing it with a plaza. But where does harbour street go? There is no way it can curve up to lakeshore through the one yonge site alone, you would also need the lcbo lands to do that.

Question. What are the logistics of adding new floors to an existing structure? The reason I ask is that I work in the Toronto Star building. Can new floors be added with tenants still occupying the building? I can see how the actual floors could be added, but what about elevator shaft reconfiguration etc?

wmedia:

It can be done - see 130 Bloor/155 Cumberland. The building (save one or two floors) was occupied when they put up the addition.

AoD

I too would want to see the street animated with retail, as opposed to an internal mall with a glass skin.

That wall of glass is so bland and lifeless, yet almost every new development has them, whether it's in the Distillery or Yorkville. Must every district in Toronto have the same retail design at street level? It's amazing to me that so many people are willing to accept the same style of development, the same boring materials, the same colours used and the same style of retail, in every neighbourhood. At some point you won't be able to recognize one area from another. It will just turn into one big blob of glass boxes, grey spandrel and the indistinguishable glass wall of retail, as far as the eye can see. What happened to individuality, creativity and style, in this city?

That wall of glass is so bland and lifeless, yet almost every new development has them, whether it's in the Distillery or Yorkville. Must every district in Toronto have the same retail design at street level? It's amazing to me that so many people are willing to accept the same style of development, the same boring materials, the same colours used and the same style of retail, in every neighbourhood. At some point you won't be able to recognize one area from another. It will just turn into one big blob of glass boxes, grey spandrel and the indistinguishable glass wall of retail, as far as the eye can see. What happened to individuality, creativity and style, in this city?

too much glass is making Toronto cheap looking.
Take a look at the Waterfront when all the buildings are completed, you would wonder if it is Asia or North America. Why aren't more Fairmont Hotel kind of buildings? These are the style we need.

^^ Asian developments have a much more colourful, interesting use of glass on their retail spaces. Some of the all glass stores in Tokyo look very creative and animated. The ones here add no animation to the street whatsoever.

Take a look at the Waterfront when all the buildings are completed, you would wonder if it is Asia or North America. Why aren't more Fairmont Hotel kind of buildings? These are the style we need.

Yes, we're going to put up railway hotels everywhere. Grand idea.

Y'mean, the Royal York? What are you? Prince Charles or something?

I wonder if the same people complaining about glass would've complained about brick a few decades ago. Who knows what the future will bring. In the name of efficiency, the only cladding future buildings might have is wraparound organic solar cells or something. I bet everyone would miss glass then ;)

Back