Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Thanks for this. What I'm wondering is if the height restrictions are now removed in areas like the downtown, midtown, and future development along the new subway lines and so forth. Or if the restrictions are just potentially eased? There's a tower on Yonge that I think was turned down this year. I forget the name, but it's on the east side of the street and just north of the new 280-meter-tall proposal on Yonge. I think they mentioned shadow issues. They might be appealing it now.

I'm wondering if tall towers can still be turned down over things like sunlight, shadow, and height. Or if developers downtown especially will be proposing towers with taller heights and if the new rules will help them get approved more easily. I'm just kind of confused about how all this will work now that the Province has changed things. Thanks. 😀
I think broadly yes these rules still apply. The municipal process isn’t diminished so much as specifically height limits are on the basis of “inhibiting development”. Now, I haven’t combed through the exact policies, but I get the impression this is a basis for the province to allow buildings that exceed limits at the OLT. I’m pretty sure they just literally deleted the sections of city OPs dictating limits. As far as I know, this style of height limits are mostly just set where multistorey buildings are anyway. Ie, it’s for places like main streets, downtown and midtown exclusively where condos are gonna be (perhaps growth areas in general?) rather than truly citywide.

Here's a scale comparison showing the full 346 metre height next to the CN Tower and The One:

52481314267_e9e4eedade_k.jpg

Wow, we got ourselves a regulars Chrysler Building vs 40 Wall Street competition going on. Not only do they keep trying to one-up each other height-wise but the race to get built first going to be pretty tight as well, love it!

Can anyone cite where in the proposed legislation it's proposed to do away with height restrictions?
Is this because the Ford government just removed all height restrictions? I have a feeling his buddy buddy developers were given the heads up well in advance and they were just waiting for his housing & greenbelt announcement to release updated plans. I wonder how many other proposals will increase in height? Removing height restrictions is the only part of his plan I agree with touching, the greenbelt though will be a disaster and I hope people block the bulldozers!

Edit: Really excited about this height increase here!

I haven't been able to review all of the More Homes Built Faster Act, 2022 which proposes to amend at least six or so other Acts, including the Planning Act, but just curious if anyone knows where it says that height restrictions are being removed.

There are a lot of amendments including changes to Site Plan Control that I found like, exterior design of a building will no longer be regulated. In other words, they are removing the requirements for the city to ask a developer to provide drawings showing matters of exterior design which sounds like a free for all for perpetuating bland, cheap design.

Last edited:
I think broadly yes these rules still apply. The municipal process isn’t diminished so much as specifically height limits are on the basis of “inhibiting development”. Now, I haven’t combed through the exact policies, but I get the impression this is a basis for the province to allow buildings that exceed limits at the OLT. I’m pretty sure they just literally deleted the sections of city OPs dictating limits. As far as I know, this style of height limits are mostly just set where multistorey buildings are anyway. Ie, it’s for places like main streets, downtown and midtown exclusively where condos are gonna be (perhaps growth areas in general?) rather than truly citywide.
Thanks so much for explaining this. I'm trying to follow and understand it all. It's not easy, lol. Have a great day! 😀

There are a lot of amendments including changes to Site Plan Control that I found like, exterior design of a building will no longer be regulated. In other words, they are removing the requirements for the city to ask a developer to provide drawings showing matters of exterior design which sounds like a free for all for perpetuating bland, cheap design.

Yeah I was wondering/concerned about things like this.

Looking at the architectural plans, I noticed that there is now a hotel proposed in the podium levels of phase 2, taking up the first 12 floors. Has there always been a hotel as a part of this project? It's a decent size chunk of the building too.

Also, I notice that a mass tune damper is proposed for both towers. Is anyone aware of any other projects in Toronto which have used dampers? Did Aura?

Last edited:
Looking at the architectural plans, I noticed that there is now a hotel proposed in the podium levels of phase 2, taking up the first 12 floors. Has there always been a hotel as a part of this project? It's a decent size chunk of the building too.

Also, I notice that a mass tune damper is proposed for both towers. Is anyone aware of any other projects in Toronto which have used dampers? Did Aura?

The One will have it. Also others - https://www.waltersgroupinc.com/high-living-comfort-with-tuned-mass-dampers/

AoD

Unlike with The One's height increase, what's being proposed at Pinnacle is a pretty substantial redesign. Unfortunately it's also a blatant cheapening, after having already going through two previous downgrades.

I'm supportive of the height increase but the approved design should need to be retained as a condition. Imho the old design wasn't particularly impressive, but the new design looks like something you could get off-the-shelf from Canadian Tire.

Fg92P4kX0AErGui.jpeg.jpg

Harry did a version of dampering with One King West ... a rooftop damper system, constructed in concrete, consisting of 10 water tanks ( half a million litres).

Unlike with The One's height increase, what's being proposed at Pinnacle is a pretty substantial redesign. Unfortunately it's also a blatant cheapening, after having already going through two previous downgrades.

I'm supportive of the height increase but the approved design should need to be retained as a condition. Imho the old design wasn't particularly impressive, but the new design looks like something you could get off-the-shelf from Canadian Tire.

View attachment 437825

The redesign has already been approved a long time ago. Whats under construction right now is the new design, I believe the height increase would just be adding some extra floors in the middle.

View attachment 437825

I totally agree. I would rather this not get approved and have to keep the original design as the new render looks very cheap.

Back