Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Interesting implications in a comment by WhipperSnapper over at skyscraperpage....commenting about how some proposals are actually granted an increase in height by the city....

Charlie, for example, was submitted as a 25ish storey tower and everyone agreed a taller slimmer profile would be better suited. Mirvish Gehry overall form is slimmer with one less tower and taller too. One Yonge apparently as well.

what are the chances that we can get a 300m+ from this project?

Who cares? Why are so many people here concerned with the heights of buildings? This isn't the 1930s, nor is Toronto in the developing world. It doesn't matter how tall a building is.

Who cares?

Obviously a lot of people considering the amount of posts in the M-G thread about whether the taller tower is 304 M or 305 M.

Honestly you are on a forum that is about development and buildings so I think it isn't surprising that people want to see Toronto get some Super talls.

you are on a forum that is about development and buildings so I think it isn't surprising that people want to see Toronto get some Super talls.

There is no such thing as a "supertall." It sounds like a word invented by a child.

Obsessing over the heights of buildings isn't the same thing as being interested in development. Would WPP-III be better if it were taller, or 30 stories shorter?

I like to believe in my head that the reason people want 300+ metres is because they want a new tallest building, not some arbitrary height number.

Who cares? Why are so many people here concerned with the heights of buildings? This isn't the 1930s, nor is Toronto in the developing world. It doesn't matter how tall a building is.

I think Urban Toronto is the wrong place for you.

Obsessing over the heights of buildings isn't the same thing as being interested in development. Would WPP-III be better if it were taller, or 30 stories shorter?

If WPP-III were taller, I would probably have an idea what WPP-III stood for.

I think Urban Toronto is the wrong place for you.

Nope - some of us aren't obsessed about height (though it can be nice in the right context), and definitely not whether it hits a certain magic number or not.

That said, I think the the move upward and thinning out the site would be a good move for this particular project.

AoD

Same here - height ain't everything, not by a long shot. But I too agree that this project could do with a bit of a rethink. If it goes taller, I'm OK with that, but I find that, as it stands, there's too many towers on that particular footprint and it looks like a bit of an unfortunate jumble.

I actually think that Pinnacle expected that towers would be deleted before the design is finalized and approved. It seems like an obvious example of asking for a mile, knowing that they would be given half a mile. Five or even four towers would look a lot better on this site, the proposal is just too dense right now. It reminds me of the "World's Tallest Block" in Dubai (every tower being over 250m in height, and several being over 400m), which is so densely packed that it's almost painful to look at in my opinion. This change would be especially appreciated if one or more towers were heightened in exchange for lower total density.

3683067714_zps320aa743.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, like the Mirvish-Gehry solution. I do hope that they keep to the design for the ovoid and "bent" towers though - thought they look quite neat. That, increase the office component and have s37 contribution to redeveloping Harbour Square Park/QQE redo.

AoD

Last edited:
There is already a ton of office space in the proposal, I dont see a need for more.

If the rumour of more height is true, my predictions were correct. I have said from day 1 that there are too many towers on site and that Pinnacle would end up condensing them into fewer, but taller towers.

There is already a ton of office space in the proposal, I dont see a need for more.

If the rumour of more height is true, my predictions were correct. I have said from day 1 that there are too many towers on site and that Pinnacle would end up condensing them into fewer, but taller towers.

The only office component is the addition to TorStar and one new tower (plus podium) - at 160k m2, it's only 1/4 of the total floor space of the project - not really all that much considering the proximate location to the downtown core.

AoD

Last edited:

Back