Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Also posted in the Lower Yonge thread. From the April 2013 Waterfront Toronto newsletter:

"Lower Yonge: Urban Design Guidelines and Transportation Master Plan
Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto will be undertaking two studies in the Lower Yonge Precinct: an Urban Design Guidelines study and a Transportation Master Plan Environmental Assessment (EA). Located between Yonge Street and Lower Jarvis Street, south of Lake Shore Boulevard and north of Queens Quay East, the Lower Yonge area encompasses about 9 hectares (22 acres) of prime waterfront land.

When complete, the studies will be used to inform the development of a Lower Yonge Precinct Plan led by the City of Toronto. The goal of this work is to provide Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto with the planning context required to develop policy and review development applications for these prime waterfront lands.

The Urban Design Guidelines will include direction on blocks, streets, parks and public realm. It will also set out requirements for building form and how buildings are arranged. The Transportation Master Plan EA will develop the framework for the transportation infrastructure required to support the development of the Lower Yonge Precinct. The section of Harbour Street from Lower Simcoe to Yonge Street will also be considered.

Public consultation is an important part of this work. A public meeting, planned for late-May, will give neighbouring residents, businesses and other interested parties an opportunity to learn more about the project and provide feedback to the team. Meeting details will be posted in our calendar when available.
"

Wow. The amount of nonsense in the above posts is astonishing, and a bit sad, with respect.

"Stupidtall" buildings, add little if anything to a city's worth, in any category that matters (starting with 'liveability'). It is nothing more than immature and shallow bragging rights.

Alklay, if we obsess about the numbers then, yes, it's stupid.

But if you see a 400 m + tall building in the flesh, it's almost always a commanding presence and sometimes breathtaking in a way that, for some reason, a 250 to 300 meter building is not. A 400 m tall building is actually more of a presence in a city where most surrounding buildings are 200 meters than a 200 meter building in a city with no highrises at all.

5182ddfbb3fc4bdec80000c1_one-yonge-hariri-pontarini-architects_1yonge_main_final-528x792.jpg

5182ddfab3fc4b830c0000c5_one-yonge-hariri-pontarini-architects_1yonge_up2-528x264.jpg

More here: http://www.archdaily.com/367812/one-yonge-hariri-pontarini-architects/

^Looks like any number of proposed mega-projects for Dubai or Kowloon. But I'll take it, so desperate am I for the glass box pox to be eradicated from this city.

It will also make a fine background for car ads, music videos (if they still make those) and perhaps a future James Bond film.

Those renders are insane. The main (tallest) tower looks better than I imagined. They filled up all the adjacent lots eastward so it looks busier than it should. Is there still an addition to the Toronto Star building in that render? Doesn't seem like it.

^Looks like any number of proposed mega-projects for Dubai or Kowloon. But I'll take it, so desperate am I for the glass box pox to be eradicated from this city.

It will also make a fine background for car ads, music videos (if they still make those) and perhaps a future James Bond film.

Hear hear! Plus it looks good. That's quite rare for a multi-tower proposal.

Is there still an addition to the Toronto Star building in that render? Doesn't seem like it.

Presumably this is Yonge & Lakeshore so The Toronto Star building is on the far right of those buildings, no?

From the rendering, it looks like the additional 10 stories of the Toronto Star Building will contrast against the original building below. Looks like there will be no horizontal concrete ledges between each floor!

The main building itself looks incredible, especially the upper portion. The other buildings are alright, but I'm more happy about the skyline expanding eastward and adding some more density to the Waterfront.

It's not bad, but someday the DRP will get the plans, and i'm afraid the results won't be pretty. The nimby's will be out in force, and demand changes.

Looks incredible, indeed.....please keep it away from the soul destroying, design smothering evil that is the DRP...

Hm the main tower and the tower immediately to the the right look amazing. The tower immediately to the left looks promising. But the building immediately to the left of the Toronto Star building looks horrid. It's just a glass box and what's worse, a glass box with shoddy cladding. Obviously this is very early on but I hope they don't expect to make 2-3 buildings look amazing and then just cheapen out on the rest. Other than that, the whole block is going to be very interesting to watch.

Back