Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I was down there yesterday on the Bay St side, and the tower looks great, but the podium looks really dingy. I get that it will look vastly different when they build the next tower, but it looks very cheap right now.
You need to be more patient - it's like saying your toddler can't ride a bicycle (or an excavator?) yet!

I was down there yesterday on the Bay St side, and the tower looks great, but the podium looks really dingy. I get that it will look vastly different when they build the next tower, but it looks very cheap right now.
I think once all three are complete, and the Toronto Star building is redone and connected the whole thing will look totally different, so as DSC said, not sure there is a point in judging it at this stage.

Last edited:
Photo credit to Skycandy for his photos from Thursday. This is the specific part I was thinking of. Obviously this is going to plug into the podium of the next tower, but is the glass/frame they've used for now temporary too? That's the part that I think looks pretty downgraded compared to the tower. I didn't walk around to see the other side because it was pouring rain and I just wanted to get my Korean food and go home.

1624148491356.png

I think it was mentioned previously somewhere in this thread that the podium section is where the affordable housing units are, while the tower section is just the standard market units. For whatever reason, that's a big part of the reason why we're seeing the cheap cladding on the lower levels.

I think it was mentioned previously somewhere in this thread that the podium section is where the affordable housing units are, while the tower section is just the standard market units. For whatever reason, that's a big part of the reason why we're seeing the cheap cladding on the lower levels.
I see what your saying now in the pics but I don't know how anyone would even see that once the Skytower is there, but besides that, I can't believe that's the final product. I'm sure something is getting attached or touched up. If you look at the renderings, the Skytower is attached to that part of the building, but then I don't know why there would be windows there.

Last edited:
I see what your saying now in the pics but I don't know how anyone would even see that once the Skytower is there, but besides that, I can't believe that's the final product. I'm sure something is getting attached or touched up. If you look at the renderings, the Skytower is attached to that part of the building, but then I don't know why there would be windows there.
I don't think Skytower is ATTACHED to that part of the building. There will be a corridor between them. Look at the renders below. Also, it does look cheap and ugly for now but it's not finished yet.
6918-88105.jpeg

I think executing the pyramid design details via a ceramic frit is actually fine, and frankly more honest than faux structural glue-on trim. The new docs also feature my favourite portmanteau (compound word ;-): curtainwall... and lots of it. Still betting the tower will be a stunner.

I think executing the pyramid design details via a ceramic frit is actually fine, and frankly more honest than faux structural glue-on trim. The new docs also feature my favourite portmanteau (compound word ;-): curtainwall... and lots of it. Still betting the tower will be a stunner.

I strongly disagree. I think in order for the facets to register from a distance, there needs to be both a material and depth difference between the curtain wall and the diagonal lines. My fear is that with this latest decision the accents won't be visible and this will end up looking unnecessarily flat with the gold colour ending up muted due to the tint of the glass.

I've contacted the planner and asked for a copy of the material sample board (it says it was included however I can't locate it within the documents) so we'll see, but overall I think this is not a great move for this building.

I strongly disagree. I think in order for the facets to register from a distance, there needs to be both a material and depth difference between the curtain wall and the diagonal lines. My fear is that with this latest decision the accents won't be visible and this will end up looking unnecessarily flat with the gold colour ending up muted due to the tint of the glass.

I've contacted the planner and asked for a copy of the material sample board (it says it was included however I can't locate it within the documents) so we'll see, but overall I think this is not a great move for this building.
I dare say it feels cheapening, that's for sure.

Back