Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

IMG_20210217_130634890_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210217_130826308_HDR.jpg

So they can remove the shoring wall if they want. Not that I am surprised at this...as this would make technical sense here. But I wasn't really sure this was a thing, until I saw this picted above. Huh.

So they can remove the shoring wall if they want. Not that I am surprised at this...as this would make technical sense here. But I wasn't really sure this was a thing, until I saw this picted above. Huh.
Maybe just on that side since they already shored the other side while building phase 1

Exactly my thinking, only taking it away for this side since there is a wall there from phase1 and shoring is no longer required and they’ll want the space for the new phase 2 wall.
Btw it’s just after 7 and the crews have started working again, bang, bang, bang.

Exactly my thinking, only taking it away for this side since there is a wall there from phase1 and shoring is no longer required and they’ll want the space for the new phase 2 wall.
Btw it’s just after 7 and the crews have started working again, bang, bang, bang.
Despite how loud the removal of the caisson wall is, the concrete used in them is softer than normal concrete. That material should all be recycled, the steel for sure. When the three phases are all finished, the garages will be linked underground.

Despite how loud the removal of the caisson wall is, the concrete used in them is softer than normal concrete. That material should all be recycled, the steel for sure. When the three phases are all finished, the garages will be linked underground.

I am honestly surprised that they just didn't construct all the parking garages at the same time.

^ They probably calculated they would make more money from sections of the lot remaining running as a public parking lot, than the cost of an extra caisson wall (and its subsequent removal).

I think each developer has a different financial tolerance for building ahead with phasing. And they do their cost analysis proformas in a variety of ways.
I do recall a 3 phase project that built the whole garage ahead of time and misread a coming recession and a downturn in the market, only to lose everything 3 years later. I also remember a developer to pull back a year or two before a recession, not good if you are relying on architectural fees from these projects. And I also remember a project that accelerated construction during a recession in order to take advantage of lower material and labour costs and also get ahead of the demand with built footage waiting for the uptick.
Macro planning and marketing has its place.
On a micro level the analysis of rentable space vs non rentable space is a bit of an art/science. Simply removing unneeded walls, or thinning them to the minimum can improve revenue. In one of my first drafting jobs I got pigeon holed drawing bathrooms and stairs. I was made to redo 7 stairs in a large shopping centre. I had optimized the hand railing on the switch back, (that they teach you in school) it caused the overall size of the stair to be one tread longer than needed. I was told the 7 stairs times 2 floors times 10” treads equated to the the loss of revenue each year great enough to buy a Cadillac. Bathroom dimensions were scrutinized too, I never forgot that summer.

Last edited:
I think each developer has a different financial tolerance for building ahead with phasing. And they do their cost analysis proformas in a variety of ways.
I do recall a 3 phase project that built the whole garage ahead of time and misread a coming recession and a downturn in the market, only to lose everything 3 years later. I also remember a developer to pull back a year or two before a recession, not good if you are relying on architectural fees from these projects. And I also remember a project that accelerated construction during a recession in order to take advantage of lower material and labour costs and also get ahead of the demand with built footage waiting for the uptick.
Macro planning and marketing has its place.
On a micro level the analysis of rentable space vs non rentable space is a bit of an art/science. Simply removing unneeded walls, or thinning them to the minimum can improve revenue. In one of my first drafting jobs I got pigeon holed drawing bathrooms and stairs. I was made to redo 7 stairs in a large shopping centre. I had optimized the hand railing on the switch back, (that they teach you in school) it caused the overall size of the stair to be one tread longer than needed. I was told the 7 stairs times 2 floors times 10” treads equated to the the loss of revenue each year great enough to buy a Cadillac. Bathroom dimensions were scrutinized too, I never forgot that summer.
In 2008-2009 Pinnacle stopped their west tower across the street when it was just above grade due to the financial situation at that time, i think they are a very cautious builders, they also had started the shoring on phase 2 last year before Covid and stopped it for awhile until they felt comfortable to commence again.
Down the street at the Lakeside Residences it looks like they are doing the shoring in 2 stages also, this also gives them more space to work on phase 1.

Back