Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

When planes were flying and boats were sailing. July 27, 2018
1F14AB8D-6BB9-4446-A1BA-8CF861EC825D.jpeg

2.5 years later
BC15FB76-FB78-4C23-84A5-0CD0CD48ACE1.jpeg

B9EE5127-F0B3-4DA5-B8AC-23CF4248D0FB.jpeg

FED42EA8-C901-405F-84B0-C29AFCEE85E0.jpeg

84C9030D-AE74-4920-8DC2-133D250E1DC7.jpeg

So what was there? They picked out something weird from the other pit too before they build on it.

So what was there? They picked out something weird from the other pit too before they build on it.
I've looked through some old maps of Toronto Harbour, but what I have is not detailed enough for me to feel fairly sure about what I'm looking at. There were most definitely wharves at the end of Yonge Street that have been long since surrounded by further landfill, but I am not certain that these are concrete cribs for one of the former wharves.

What I think we can say for sure though…

…is that the one partly under Lake Shore has got the Treasure of Oak Island™ buried in it.

Last edited:
wow! they ran over all those goodies to build Toronto star building and all that crap in the neighborhood. :mad:

Not exactly.

We did lose the Board of Trade building.........but not to lake filling; just casual demolition.

That building was at Front and Yonge.

A lot of what you see in those photos would be just a bit south of Front or just south of the current rail corridor.

The first large-scale lake fill, to my understanding, was for the railway.

That consumed a lot of space, the corridor you see today, but also the railway lands, in particular most of what is now Southcore; but also chunks of what is now the St. Lawrence area.

Subsequent fill was done largely with an eye to heavy industry.

The lake filling (excepting Ontario Place and the Leslie Spit) was largely finished by World War 2.

The Star building did not come along until about 1970.

Last edited:
AoD, thank you for posting this drawing, confirming the CW1/Yonge St Wharf location. I just showed my wife the series of posts, her first response, “save a piece of the cribbing and use it with a series of photos to capture the harbour history in a display”, for use in the lobby of the new building.
In front of 18 Yonge the sculpture of the immigrant family pays homage to the location where new Canadians disembarked from ships. The sculpture’s location is mid slip. Southbound lanes of Yonge street are where the CW2 deck was, northbound lanes are located where the water was.
Thanks again for tying this together! Cheers.

Back