Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Unless I miss my guess, Pinnacle is simply starting the OMB stop watch. Since the "area plan" won't be ready for quite some time, Pinnacle is trying to force their hand or take their chances at the OMB. The cost of carrying this property while the city isn't responsive is huge. I don't blame Pinnacle for lighting a fire under their butts.

You're so pro developers. City planners are only looking out for the community's best interest. The name behind Pinnacle makes Rob Ford a decent, respectable man.

City planners are only looking out for the community's best interest.

Oh im sure, height will be the main issue with little mention of the new boulevard
...by the way, isn't the community down there none other than condo dwellers, that are worried about their unobstructed views?

The site is proposed to be divided into two blocks by an eastern 27 metre wide extension of Harbour Street. On the south block, the application proposes to retain and add 10 storeys to the existing Toronto Star building and also develop an attached 70-storey hotel/residential building and a 40-storey office building connected with a 6-storey podium. On the north block, four new residential towers are proposed with heights of 75, 80, 80 and 88 storeys with an 8-storey podium for residential, retail and commercial uses

There's usually a good reason behind height being an issue. Dismissing it as NIMBYism is usually flagrant ignorism. Lot's of fans in forum land of height and skyline that haven't picked up a book. Of course, I'm not talking about you.

...by the way, isn't the community down there none other than condo dwellers, that are worried about their unobstructed views?

No there are plenty of people in the area (especially north of the rail corridor) that will need to deal with traffic, lack of schools etc. You do know people in the real world have needs besides views, or tall buildings for that matter.

No there are plenty of people in the area (especially north of the rail corridor) that will need to deal with traffic, lack of schools etc. You do know people in the real world have needs besides views, or tall buildings for that matter.

So, now they are worried about schools? They bought a one bedroom apartment downtown - and now that another project is proposed, schools are an issue? One bedroom condos do not generally house growing families so the school issue can't be that big.

Traffic? The whole idea of building connected to the PATH was so there would not be a huge impact on traffic.
Alternatively these people would live in the suburbs which would contribute to sprawl and traffic congestion.
The whole idea of downtown intensification is to reduce traffic and make transit more efficient. This project will do just that - it's a perfect downtown project.

You're so pro developers. City planners are only looking out for the community's best interest. The name behind Pinnacle makes Rob Ford a decent, respectable man.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but with the planning department short staffed and city council hamstrung by vicious cost cutting and distracted by mayoral nonsense, developers have to find a way to get things moving. If planning can't move forward then i agree with them forcing the issue.

According to the recent report from staff dated February 7, "Toronto and East York Community Council considered a preliminary report on the rezoning application in June 2013." That was 7 months ago and all they have determined so far is they think an Official Plan Ammendment is required as well. 7 months and they are virtually no where.

Last edited:
guys buildings in other cities are approved within 6-8 months and in Toronto it takes forever to get an approval.

In my career, I've seen one too many city planners with a chip on their shoulder when dealing with developers. They're seen collectively as rich, greedy and evil. High density developments are seen as too much profit potential and must be paired down. I've also seen planners in smaller communities go out of their way to be uncooperative to harm and slow developers. What ends up happening is the cookie cutter homebuilders with deep pockets win their lawsuits while the small startup or innovative developer trying to do downtown infill or something else innovative gets put out of business.

It's ironic because these same planners complain about NIMBY community groups and tea party politicians trying to undermine the planning process. The plan for traditional main street designs and get frustrated when developers don't follow the plan. Often because they have no training or experience in land economics. The plans make for pretty renderings but never materialize.

I am pro development because I believe developers and well planned and thriving cities are not mutually exclusive. Had Toronto not been building 15,000 condo units a year, the population growth and jobs would be pushed to where supply is available, sprawl in the suburbs.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree with you but with the planning department short staffed and city council hamstrung by vicious cost cutting and distracted by mayoral nonsense, developers have to find a way to get things moving. If planning can't move forward then i agree with them forcing the issue.

According to the recent report from staff dated February 7, "Toronto and East York Community Council considered a preliminary report on the rezoning application in June 2013." That was 7 months ago and all they have determined so far is they think an Official Plan Ammendment is required as well. 7 months and they are virtually no where.

Everyone is under-staffed everywhere (or so they will tell you). Possibly the Planners would also tell you they are required to waste too much time with red tape.

What does "deal with traffic" mean? Please explain. Are you referring to the pedestrian traffic? Because with more people walking to work rather than driving from suburbs foot traffic will increase. The solution to a lack of schools, if there is one, is to build a school. Why are you making this so complicated?

Back