Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Viewed from the island:

Toronto Model 03-09-22 One Yonge.png

...I can't imagine the expense of all this. And that balcony glass looked expensive to begin with. /sigh

...I can't imagine the expense of all this. And that balcony glass looked expensive to begin with. /sigh
My hope is that it is either a manufacturer defect (covered by the supplier) or it is covered by Pinnacle's insurance. Would be a major let down to see lower quality balcony glazing go up as a result of this defect.

My hope is that it is either a manufacturer defect (covered by the supplier) or it is covered by Pinnacle's insurance. Would be a major let down to see lower quality balcony glazing go up as a result of this defect.
I'll wager we'll see the exact same kind of glass when they replace it, but without the delaminating defect. Hopefully.

I imagine the manufacturer will be paying for everything: new glass, shipping, labour…

Why would you think it was Pinnacle's problem? I am sure the glass manufacturer had specs to meet and, apparently, failed to meet them so the problem is theirs to solve and to provide replacement glass of the same (or higher) quality (and maybe pay for the labour cost of replacement and a penalty.)

Why would you think it was Pinnacle's problem? I am sure the glass manufacturer had specs to meet and, apparently, failed to meet them so the problem is theirs to solve and to provide replacement glass of the same (or higher) quality (and maybe pay for the labour cost of replacement and a penalty.)
Yeah I shouldn't have posted before my morning coffee - I was thinking along the potential lines of faulty install on the construction companies fault but even that wouldn't fall on Pinnacle as it's now obvious to me that it's a manufacturer defect.

Yeah I shouldn't have posted before my morning coffee - I was thinking along the potential lines of faulty install on the construction companies fault but even that wouldn't fall on Pinnacle as it's now obvious to me that it's a manufacturer defect.

A quick question - was the balcony glass for the building contracted directly with a manufacturer, or through a local supplier / dealer / distributor?

My understandig would be that If the purchase agreement was directly with the original manufacturer, yes - then they would be the ones who would have to stand behind their product. If the purchase was through a dealer / distributor who held the contractual relationship with the builder, then they would be the ones who would have to stand behind the product, and they would have to be the ones who would have to have the recourse to the manufacturer they were representing - unless there was a specific manufacturer's warranty on the product that was passed through to the developer as part of the contractual terms for the purchase.

I believe Pinnacle is large enough that they act as their own GC. They contracted to a window company, who in turn contracted to a glass manufacturer.

In theory, the glass manufacturer is on the hook. In reality, it'll get messier. The margins on a job like that are so tight that it might actually be easier for the glass supplier to fold up shop. Lots of legal fanagling in construction with holding companies to limit liability and such. If the window company has other contracts with that supplier they may also hesitate to obliterate them for fear that it messes up other projects. Pinnacle is in the same position, where crushing the window company may not serve their long-range plan (I'm pretty sure the window company for this phase is also on for the next one; would you really want to hammer someone you're tied to for the next several years?)

The whole industry is very interdependent. It's generally in everyone's interest to play nice in the sandbox. Smiting people usually doesn't pay off

Back