Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I'm not as anti-balcony on these as some other posters—1) I recognize that developers have a much harder time selling units that don't have balconies, and 2) I simply have no problem with the repeating horizontals—and to focus in on one area where I find the stratigraphic nature of the design particularly compelling, is on the 80-storey building I'm focusing in on in the middle of this crop:

I see this as a contemporary exemplification of the New York Central Park stepped tower typology, and we have next to none of that here, and this really appeals to me.

I agree, love how that 80 story buildings balconies look...very impressive!

The problem with balconies isn't with that middle tower - which handled it well on this side of the building and arguably is a best case scenario - it's with the other tower from this and other angles. And if they want banding, they can do it the Ice/Juliet way.

AoD

My gods that's insane - looks like something out of Sim City. Anyway yeah, although the plaza hasn't been designed yet, it's proposed location at the corner of 2 busy streets would make for an unpleasant space for pedestrians.

A bit of history keeping here: today's WT DRP meeting is currently running at minimum an hour and a half behind. I wish it were being filmed and available for viewing: what's being said by the presenters and the panelists is very interesting. (I also wish certain members of the panel would speak more directly into the microphones—some of this is difficult to make out at times).

The meeting is absolutely packed with content, and the typical hour-and-a-bit time slots which were allotted for the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan first, and now 1-7 Yonge, have not reflected the amount of time required to evaluate the proposals in enough detail. Even with it going long, there's much being left on the table. These are important plans and proposals, and there's some frustration being expressed by the panelists that the City hasn't made certain final decisions re: roads, parks, etc., and that's making it difficult to deliver more incisive critiques. That said, there are many, varying viewpoints being expressed in the feedback, and I those frantically taking the minutes will have sore hands at the end of the meeting!

Any other projects being discussed there today Craig?

If I remember correctly, the whole York ramp/Harbour Street redo will have to be tested along with the new Hybrid Gardiner model. One source of uncertainty perhaps?

AoD

Excellent. Thanks very much for those updates. I think we can call deal with the camera shots just fine. Again, it's appreciated. Are there any updated numbers with respect to heights and residential unit numbers?

Any other projects being discussed there today Craig?

If I remember correctly, the whole York ramp/Harbour Street redo will have to be tested along with the new Hybrid Gardiner model. One source of uncertainty perhaps?

AoD

The new Simcoe off-ramp itself was not dealt with, but everything east of it was re: Harbour Street-post-ramp-removal, with most of the attention being paid to plantings on either side of the street, and a two-way bike path on the south side of the street. This is the QQ Martin Goodman Trail bypass that a lot of cyclists are looking for.

The Aitken Place Park design is being considered now, and the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal is up next. It's an incredibly packed day.

Excellent. Thanks very much for those updates. I think we can call deal with the camera shots just fine. Again, it's appreciated. Are there any updated numbers with respect to heights and residential unit numbers?

Not yet. Tower heights are up a little here, down marginally there, massing shifted this way, that way… there is much still to be resolved.

To that end, the DRP voted to not support the design today, but not because they don't like the direction it's going, only to say that there are still too many details to continue to work out to give it a vote of support yet.

Well, this is being presented to the Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel now, and we will have many more images for you soon, but here's this "work-in-progress" to chew on:

View attachment 54940

Have a good chew!

I really like the North west (tallest) tower. I like the twist and the steps. It is unlike anything else we have yet.

Even if this is a work in progress, if this is indicative of the direction they're going, this is simply amazing.
The scale and ambition (and even look of some of the buildings) reminds me of the Hudson Yards project, very futuristic. I too am not a fan of balcony spam, but this is done very artfully and on a grand scale. If they even remotely resemble this in final form, they'll give the Mirvish Towers a run for their money. (these are more impressive imo)
Mind = blown

Funktastic. Not so sure of the massing and sculptural elements of the shorter tower but that massive plaza rocks and the simplicity of the two-tower design is striking.

It's growing on me. When I first saw this design earlier today, I thought, "what an incoherent mess!" but I'm coming around on it. These are massive buildings, and what would look too busy on smaller towers might be well suited to beasts like these. I don't want more Auras here, but that's as much a matter of materials and execution as of design.

Back