Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Not Bad. Has potential... the 75 storey one is quite interesting. and the 96 storey is on the right track. spandral ya, now that could be a mish mash. and very busy. but still on the right track. the materials are a make or break.

There are some interesting details like the curve at the top, but I've come to expect more from HPA. This is good, but with HPA and such a prominent site, I'm looking for spectacular, and this falls short.

No kidding, this is insufficient excellence even for Yonge and Bloor (it's more like their 1 Eglinton E). It's probably too early for public realm details - but gawd, the plaza is dreary.

And yes, it's a Pinnacle project as well, and their record isn't very inspiring thus far.

AoD

The plaza is not designed yet, because it remains City of Toronto land. Until agreements are signed, and the City commits to rerouting Lake Shore here, (still a concept), there will be no design for that plaza.

Very sci-fi, I think the plaza is far too large though. There aren't enough attractions or retail down there to fill it with people, it will just be empty and windswept most of the time.

Here are two more views. I hesitate a little to post these as the original files (as opposed to these camera shots) will be crisper, and not distorted in any way (these are slightly)… and again, these all have WORK IN PROGRESS status, but…

This one is looking northwest through the proposed park (not designed yet—this is just meant to represent a park) on the LCBO lands:

IMG_8078 - Version 2.jpg

This one looks west along the Harbour Street extension. The proposed park is on the left. The Pinnacle buildings are in the background: the lower ones on the right are LCBO Lands buildings—a totally different kettle of fish—and are not designed yet.

IMG_8078.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8078 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_8078 - Version 2.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 5,928
  • IMG_8078.jpg
    IMG_8078.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 5,888
Very sci-fi, I think the plaza is far too large though. There aren't enough attractions or retail down there to fill it with people, it will just be empty and windswept most of the time.

There is a significant amount of retail planned for this development, and the City is forecasting around 25,000 residents in the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan area which includes this property, the LCBO Lands, and the Loblaws lands, and many thousands of office, retail, and other daytime workers coming to this area.

Again, the plaza is not designed yet.

I like the plaza. When east part of harbourfront completes the plaza has potential to be "the" gateway (grand entrance) to the east waterfront from downtown. Keep it pls.

I like the overall massing and the shape of the towers, but the details left something to be desired - the proliferation of balconies is especially unfortunate (is it trying to emphasize the vertical or the horizontal?) The ground level is also kind of meh at this stage - I feel that it need something more than a glass wall treatment.

AoD

I also think the first iteration was much better.... this one... way too busy and clunky, almost looks like a Kirkor knockoff.. :)

I think the location of the plaza would be very poor.. who wants to hang out in a windswept space next to multiple lanes of roaring traffic?

I like the plaza. When east part of harbourfront completes the plaza has potential to be "the" gateway (grand entrance) to the east waterfront from downtown. Keep it pls.

I see your point, but I'd rather see that grand gesture at the foot of Yonge now that the bilge barge is gone. We'll have to wait and see what revisions are made though.

The northeastern tower looks very Dubai.

I like that the public space has been brought to the ground. I would have preferred if the architects could have blocked off the Gardiner like was done with Maple Leaf Square (who wants to hang out next to a noisy, elevated expressway), but I appreciate that this would have made it hard to create the same sense of a 'grand opening' from yonge street.

But the architecure is a lot less sleek and much more "showy" than the original proposal.

Last edited:
I'm not as anti-balcony on these as some other posters—1) I recognize that developers have a much harder time selling units that don't have balconies, and 2) I simply have no problem with the repeating horizontals—and to focus in on one area where I find the stratigraphic nature of the design particularly compelling, is on the 80-storey building I'm focusing in on in the middle of this crop:

IMG_8078 - K.jpg

I see this as a contemporary exemplification of the New York Central Park stepped tower typology, and we have next to none of that here, and this really appeals to me.

Attachments

• IMG_8078 - K.jpg
    IMG_8078 - K.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 4,328
A bit of wishful thinking for a park to be built on the LCBO lands, and I think a lot of the visual appeal that they're proposing here would be lost without it.

Back