Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Im not being anti-road or anti-car. There's more than enough East-West access for vehicles in this area, with an 8 lane Lakeshore, the Gardiner, and Queens Quay. There will also be plenty of North-South roadways built on this site. All I'm saying is it would be nice to take some of the public realm from the area East of Jarvis and continue it through this site. From the renderings of the Daniel's project, it does look like something better.

The Well and 400 Front Street in the west end of downtown is a perfect example of what this area can become.

There are pedestrian corridors in this plan. 400 Front is a small site by comparison. This appears a fair bit larger than The Well as well. A more apt comparison would be The Well extending to King and Wellington becoming a pedestrian mew.

I really have grown fond of this revised massing, which is what I think it is more than anything. I'm not too worried about the district they showed looking like a City Place 2 - yet. There's a lot of potential for some great design here if developers are willing and take the time to do things right. As for the main site in question, I wouldn't mind seeing a spire or two thrown on one of those towers to give it more of an iconic presence on the skyline (The elevation drawings of the skyline from the south were also pretty awesome).

I thought Ontario or Toronto recently brought in new regulations limiting the amount of glass that could be used in a highrise?

I thought Ontario or Toronto recently brought in new regulations limiting the amount of glass that could be used in a highrise?

Vision glass. Spandrel is still OK (under the new regs, if not aesthetically), as it's more energy-efficient than windows. Though again, these are just massing studies, so we can't make any inferences about the cladding.

Toronto brought in regulations to limit the amount of vision glass (windows) to a 40/60 split with opaque, insulated exteriors, to make buildings more energy efficient. The insulated exteriors could use brick, or precast, or aluminum, or zinc, or stone, or composite material like okoskin, or glass spandrel, etc.… so the exterior could still be 100% glass, as long as 60% of it is now insulated.

Toronto brought in regulations to limit the amount of vision glass (windows) to a 40/60 split with opaque, insulated exteriors, to make buildings more energy efficient. The insulated exteriors could use brick, or precast, or aluminum, or zinc, or stone, or composite material like okoskin, or glass spandrel, etc.… so the exterior could still be 100% glass, as long as 60% of it is now insulated.

I doubt it but, I hope this applies only to window wall otherwise, things are going to get very ugly. Don't see developers shifting from glass spandrel.

Back