Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
306 Richmond across from the Scotiabank Theatre - not sure why anyone would want to live here

and a 29 storey proposal for the SE corner of Merton & Yonge - possibly the Cresford project in pre-sales - rather tall for the area

Is this where those Victorian houses are? Or beside it, where that horrible looking club, formerly known as the Joker used to be? I can't imagine much else, unless it is further down Richmond, so more like Widmer and Richmond?

p5

More people to move in and claim that they never would have imagined that it could be loud at night in a neighbourhood full of bars.

the condo should be popular with early to mid 90's ravers. Let's see: they should be in early to mid 30's, possibly still single maybe some young couples but they're still into lounge/supper club scene and find it amusing to live on the site of one of Toronto's legendary party places (and i'm not talking about the joker here although perhaps some of the frat boys have grown up too;) Did anyone else besides me hang@318 back in 1993? (Some of you kids here maybe weren't even born yet--a scary thought.)

If this is indeed the former Joker site, the proponent is TAS Design Build, the same folks doing M5V.I have seen the conceptual renderings for the south elevation and really liked them. From what I remember, it looked like a mix of N-BLOX and 75 Portland.

IMO, the timing for this project is right and could be the spark for future developments and investment in this area that may bring a better balance to the streets.

It's time to scrap the Entertainment District By-Law.
Not because the clubs are infringing upon new condos, but because there is no longer a need for it. The E.D. has brought up a host of other problems for the city. The area has established itself enough that there will always be clubs there, it will remain a destination for young kids going to shake their booty, but there is no need to ban other areas of the city from having dance clubs.
This is expecially true of the Church/Wellesley area. The E.D. by-law has ensured that no new gay clubs open in the city.

That is the smartest idea for "fixing" the Entertainment District - just allow near mini-clusters to develop elsewhere and slowly let the market work in the ED, which will always be there, but be more restaurants than nightclubs.

renderings?

Anyone have any renderings of this building going up on richmond or what site i can check? Curious to see how it will be presentable with the neighboring nightclubs. And really...who does what to live there?

Attn Urbandreamer: Guilty. I was at the hop most weekends in 93 and prior.

Yikes. Don't think they used enough concrete...... Why does this remind me of that terrible building by the Bus Depot.

Back