Toronto Piano Towns | 12.2m | 3s | Grid | George Popper

Feb 17, 2020

20200217_100914.jpg
20200217_100938.jpg
20200217_100950.jpg
20200217_101040.jpg
20200217_101048.jpg

It's an interesting design, but a few of the details look off. The hydro metres, for instance, are too prominent. They should have been tucked away somewhere. The metal panel cladding looks neither tough or durable. The entrances to the townhouses could have been warm and inviting. Instead, they're squat and shadowy.

It's an interesting design, but a few of the details look off. The hydro metres, for instance, are too prominent. They should have been tucked away somewhere. The metal panel cladding looks neither tough or durable. The entrances to the townhouses could have been warm and inviting. Instead, they're squat and shadowy.

The trees/plants will cover all of the metres eventually.

Not a fan at all. The architecture looks nice enough. But the development gives a major cold shoulder to Dupont. It not only fails to provide any engagement, but also uses up part of the strip for its own private driveway. Pretty disappointing given that Dupont is undergoing a pretty radical transformation just down the street. Also ironic that they used a Dupont rather than Westmoreland address.

Most if not all the civic addresses are now Westmoreland. It's soon to be move-in time!

It's taking them a long time to sell these units. Kind of scary to think what a 1.3 - 1.5 million town gets you. Some units don't even have a front entrance closet and no powder room on the main floor.

Last edited:
Kind of scary to think a what a 1.3 - 1.5 million town gets you

I think the most expensive of these sold for as much as $1.7M. As ridiculous as it sounds, $1.3M for one of these is actually something of a bargain given what older properties are going for in the area.

I think the most expensive of these sold for as much as $1.7M. As ridiculous as it sounds, $1.3M for one of these is actually something of a bargain given what older properties are going for in the area.

I was interested in one of these last year. I feel like the price was 1.2 but maybe it was more. At the end of the day we felt it was just too cramped. I guess when you look at square footage, it's not bad, but that's a small house divided into 3 floors, I'd get vertigo in there. No basement either.

But I think you nailed it when you mentioned the square footage. Look at the floor plan for the third level (master with gorgeous ensuite and a skylight), this seems the opposite of cramped! My previous condo was 798 sq ft + a balcony, this will be 1,455 + two terraces (more than twice as much balcony space). The lack of a basement means you get private parking partly above grade, so no fear of torrential downpours and flooding of said basement. :) It looks spacious when compared with the condo and small when compared with the 2,800+ square foot house (plus good sized yard and garage) I'm selling (in a lower priced market out of province). So, I can see both sides. For me it is not too much house, and not too little. And zero maintenance to worry about, unlike most homes the same size in TO which are 80, 100, 115 years old and may have had a lot of wear and tear, renters, etc. The price went up for the penultimate unit due to it being now done and the builder having put in all the upgrades (I think this one actually was sold and went back in the pool, won't speculate as to why). As for vertigo, I like the different levels as it affords privacy when guests visit, etc., and the height provides a nice vista from the top level terrace in the evening. I doubt they'll get their $1.7 for the final unit, but stranger things have happened.

Having looked at probably 400 "older" properties in good areas in recent months (virtually), and given serious consideration to probably 40 of them, I think the older, partly renovated home is purely an emotional decision and people are going to keep paying in money and toil for years to come on much of this overpriced inventory. I tried to crunch the numbers and except in rare cases, I could not. We bought a super charming one in Swansea years ago when we were in our 30's, and that was then and this is now. Sometimes, regarding the condition of older homes, you just know too much. Caveat emptor :). With all the TO flooding this week, I feel like I dodged a bullet buying a new home without a basement.

Back