Toronto Piano Towns | 12.2m | 3s | Grid | George Popper

And latest docs are up, dated Oct. 5. Higher-res rendering:

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.13.03 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.13.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.13.03 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,483
Not a fan at all. The architecture looks nice enough. But the development gives a major cold shoulder to Dupont. It not only fails to provide any engagement, but also uses up part of the strip for its own private driveway. Pretty disappointing given that Dupont is undergoing a pretty radical transformation just down the street. Also ironic that they used a Dupont rather than Westmoreland address.

What kind of engagement would you have liked to see here? The typology (townhouses) and the site dimensions (longer on the north-south axis) had predetermined this to be oriented this way.

The address is interesting - I would have thought you could better-capitalize on a residential street address rather than a commercial thoroughfare like Dupont.

Is this the best typology then?
Even keeping that use, though, surely the northern-most townhouse could have been reconfigured to face Dupont (and ideally left for commercial or work/live uses). Its neighbour (328 Westmoreland) is a pretty good example of the deadening effect created by the planned orientation.

It also fronts on Westmoreland with front entrances on it, so you would think, in addition of the more desirable residential address, that it should use that street as their address. Also interesting is that these are freehold townhouses, but they will share the same address but have a unit number associated with it.
Maybe the address is just a placeholder for now which they will later designate proper individual address on Westmoreland (if they are working this out with the City).
I could see this confusing for visitors and emergency services of these homes.

The next house to the east on Dupont was a drug den for years. I hope that's no longer the case for the sake of Piano owners moving in.

I really like the 2nd and 3rd floors. The brick and windows look good. Not sure about the ground floor brick. dislike the "siding" but overall nice design.

Back