News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

I assumed there were fewer flights, but I didn't think it was a 95% decrease. I suppose many of the flights are now passenger planes with seats removed to enable them to carry more cargo.

Pearson won an award for improving its carbon footprint:

Pearson won an award for improving its carbon footprint:

Surely it is going to perform even better in 2020 :p

Last Sunday I was in the pre-security area of T1 and it was like a post-apocalyptic ghost town. I have never seen anything like it.

... seems like the old power plant is being torn down since at least May
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississauga_Cogeneration_Plant
The power plant is being demolished, and the Boeing (formerly McDonnell Douglas) building has been gone for a long time. That leaves that entire northern corner of the airport property (south of intersection of Derry and Airport Road) as a huge area of vacant land. Was/is something big being planned that would use all of it? We know it won't be the new Bombardier plant, since that's going to be on the west side of the FedEx buildings.
runway 05R/23L is way off in the distant planning horizon
I'm not sure if they'll consider another runway, but they might consider taxiways for planes to get to and from the runway closest to Highway 401 (runway 24L/06R) so they don't have to cross the parallel runway (24R/06L), a situation that has been blamed for many potentially dangerous runway incursions.

Last edited:
The power plant is being demolished, and the Boeing (formerly McDonnell Douglas) building has been gone for a long time. That leaves that entire northern corner of the airport property (south of intersection of Derry and Airport Road) as a huge area of vacant land. Was/is something big being planned that would use all of it? We know it won't be the new Bombardier plant, since that's going to be on the west side of the FedEx building.
Who knows? Another office building? Terminal 4? Suburban expansion of Malton???

Who knows? Another office building? Terminal 4? Suburban expansion of Malton???
In looking at one of the previous posts I linked to, it quotes GTAA Master Plan stating potential use for the former Boeing Lands (Area 15) as "aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul facilities, and cargo facilities". This would seem to make sense as moving some of it farther away from the passenger terminals could allow for them to be expanded in the future, and putting a new passenger terminal on the former Boeing Lands wouldn't work as well because it would be difficult to connect it to the existing terminals and the proposed transit hub.

Last edited:
The power plant is being demolished, and the Boeing (formerly McDonnell Douglas) building has been gone for a long time. That leaves that entire northern corner of the airport property (south of intersection of Derry and Airport Road) as a huge area of vacant land. Was/is something big being planned that would use all of it? We know it won't be the new Bombardier plant, since that's going to be on the west side of the FedEx buildings.I'm not sure if they'll consider another runway, but they might consider taxiways for planes to get to and from the runway closest to Highway 401 (runway 24L/06R) so they don't have to cross the parallel runway (24R/06L), a situation that has been blamed for many potentially dangerous runway incursions.

In the GTAA's previous Master plan the Beoing lands (North Eastern property at Derry and Airport Rds.) had been earmarked for improvements to the airport taxiway and roadway network, as well as a possibility for aircraft maintenance facilities.

Runway 05R/23L has had the planning work done already, it is sitting on the shelves waiting to be revived when traffic levels demand. I have not seen any plans for a new taxiway South of the 06/24 runway pair, nor for perimeter taxiways for this pair. There are plans for perimeter taxiways for runway 15L/33R both at the North and the South end of the airport. Any perimeter taxiway around the 06/24 pair would need to be a sufficient distance from the runway and at the ends be far enough from or low enough below the runways in order for aircraft using the runways to land safely without striking the aircraft on the taxiway, this is problematic as the area is constrained to the West by the Airport road system and more importantly by hwy 427; to the South by a number of GTAA office and support buildings and (again) more importantly by hwy 401; and to the East by airport access roads and the Etobicoke creek valley. I think we will see the runways extended to allow for runway aircraft arresting systems before you see perimeter taxiways, Pilots just need to listen to their ATC directions.

Eh Mississauga has been sucking at that teet for a long time. You win a lot, you lose a little.
I don't think you quite grasp the situation, the airport PILTs only increase by a maximum of 5% a year, however they can fall unlimited percent, which means Mississauga very well may have the payment fall by 80%. If passenger volume falls 80% from 2019 to 2020 which would take over 30 years at 5% to recover to 2019 levels. Furthermore the rate remains at 94 cents per passenger, which was set in 2001. The airport doesn't pay taxes and it doesn't pay storm water levies, it only pays PILTs, .

...Pilots just need to listen to their ATC directions.
But sometimes (apparently 27 times between 2012 and 2017) they don't listen or understand (maybe doing their best Harrison Ford impression?). And if this is the only airport out of the 100 they looked at that had this type of set-up, then presumably this unusual arrangement for a major airport might be part of what is tripping them up. As they said in the report, it seems kind of lucky that it hasn't led to a collision yet, but waiting for it to happen before addressing the problem doesn't strike me as being the wisest course of action.
From what I can see in the 2017 GTAA Master Plan, it states "Where our 2008 Master Plan anticipated the need for a new runway, we now expect to be able to meet demand with existing capacity throughout our 20-year planning period."

Back