News   Apr 24, 2024
 917     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

I think one might have better luck with their annual report or newsletters (I haven't had a chance to go through either).

AoD
Believe me, I have gone through every report and I cannot find details on what is being done.

I understand there are upgrades to the baggage systems and further investments in retail... Visually no idea what's going on though...

I went to Frankfurt this past summer and you're right , people could not cut thru the lines to get to the next gate. And y on earth would they use carpeting all over? They already look worn out and dirty. I'm also not a fan of the tiles they used. They have black streaks all over them from the carts. I've been paying attention to these details in different airports and don't see those black marks and the useage of carpets as much as At Pearson.

Could someone please share what can I expect from Terminal 1 post security for International flights out of Pearson?

In terms of food choices, airport viewing of landings, takeoffs, large aircraft, neat bars or cafes and other entertaining things etc?

Thanks

I went to Frankfurt this past summer and you're right , people could not cut thru the lines to get to the next gate. And y on earth would they use carpeting all over? They already look worn out and dirty. I'm also not a fan of the tiles they used. They have black streaks all over them from the carts. I've been paying attention to these details in different airports and don't see those black marks and the useage of carpets as much as At Pearson.

I can understand why they are using carpet...the space is cavernous and it helps with the baffling of the noise. But it does need to be replaced on a regular basis. They could look at noise baffling on the walls/under the walkways above but they are very hard to dust.

Could someone please share what can I expect from Terminal 1 post security for International flights out of Pearson?

In terms of food choices, airport viewing of landings, takeoffs, large aircraft, neat bars or cafes and other entertaining things etc?

Thanks
If you're flying International out of T1, you're in for a treat.

Panoramic views out to the airfield, big jumbos, great restaurant options and bars, lots of expensive shopping (are you into buying a $20k Omega watch at Pearson?)

It's the template for the rest of the airport's revitalization.

If you're flying International out of T1, you're in for a treat.

Panoramic views out to the airfield, big jumbos, great restaurant options and bars, lots of expensive shopping (are you into buying a $20k Omega watch at Pearson?)

It's the template for the rest of the airport's revitalization.
Plus, if it's working, a very cool high speed moving sidewalk that triples in speed along its midsection. After security if you have the choice of two moving sidewalks along the pier, select the one on your right. Walk as it speeds you along and you'll feel wind in your hair. It's my favourite thing about T1.

From the Globe:

The demand at Pearson, where travel was up 7 per cent last year, an increase higher than at John F. Kennedy in New York, Heathrow in London and Dubai International among others, is strong enough that the GTAA is ready to discuss expanding Terminal 1.

That’s the main hub of Air Canada, the country’s largest carrier and one that is pinning much of its growth strategy on an increase in international traffic.

Pearson projected in 2008 that it would need to add a sixth runway, but it appears that may not be necessary for at least another two decades, she said, because airlines are using larger planes and have increased the number of seats they have on all sizes of planes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...egrate-to-meet-demand-report/article26710785/

AoD

If it wasn't for federal rents the Canadian circles (at least Pearson's) might be a bit bigger and Buffalo's smaller. Pearson paid 33 million in 1Q 2015.

If it wasn't for federal rents the Canadian circles (at least Pearson's) might be a bit bigger and Buffalo's smaller. Pearson paid 33 million in 1Q 2015.

Probably wouldn't change much as Pearson's prices would still generally be higher.

There are a number of other fees that impact a flight from Pearson to Orlando that don't hit Buffalo to Orlando. The two I know of are NAVCAN (both pay the same on the US side) and customs (bridge customs is federally subsidized, airport customs is paid through the ticket).

The tax makes up 10% of Pearson's revenue but a lot of other things are on the ticket than just Pearson fees. Eliminating the tax entirely would drop ticket prices by (I'm guessing) less than 2%.

Per airport ticket sales totals per quarter would be a very interesting statistic to see.

Last edited:
I really have to question whether or not expanding Pearson is actually necessary. I really think it's a case of "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". Significant chunks of the domestic market, particularly on the OTM triangle, is ripe to be shifted over to HSR. That would open up quite a few gates that were being used for short hop flights to be used for other flights instead. And then of course there's the air cargo demand, some which could potentially be shifted to a new Pickering Airport or to Hamilton. Pickering's advantage would be only small spurs required to access both CN and CP's mainlines, and easy access to the 407 and 401.

I really have to question whether or not expanding Pearson is actually necessary. I really think it's a case of "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". Significant chunks of the domestic market, particularly on the OTM triangle, is ripe to be shifted over to HSR. That would open up quite a few gates that were being used for short hop flights to be used for other flights instead. And then of course there's the air cargo demand, some which could potentially be shifted to a new Pickering Airport or to Hamilton. Pickering's advantage would be only small spurs required to access both CN and CP's mainlines, and easy access to the 407 and 401.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what airport is HSR? And why would you build a whole new airport in Pickering, at the cost of multi-billions, to fly cargo, rather than expanding Hamilton (for example)? For that matter, why not finish the original Pearson expansion plan first, even if it's a more boring hammer than a bright, shiny new bauble? And, even without jets, it's obvious that Billy Bishop will be getting a bunch more slots and expanding traffic. Won't that already soak up most of the OTM demand?

Back