Toronto Panorama at Concord CityPlace | 96.01m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

PS - the curved city place building with the panels that go up and down / and the shorter building beside it , look amazing from the park!

indeed LUNA looks amazing !

From yesterday:

4545002332_124b632cbb_b.jpg

4545003688_ff4500e684_b.jpg

A forest of condos. Feels desolate and car-swept - I assume that will be helped by the addition of actual residents, street trees, and hopefully improved pedestrian infrastructure.

I know what you are saying but that would just look plain odd in a Toronto context

As for the back side of Panorama, it looks great. I loved how they cleaned up the bottom of the Gardiner in that area. The asphalt is new and they have installed lighting randomly throughout the area. Hopefully they spruce it up a bit more over time.

Front and Bathurst
Panorama takes a new look at the Gardiner

And so while development marches on and condos sprout like tall grass all around it, developers and architects face a conundrum: what to do about that ugly space underneath the expressway.
This convergence of public opinion, the city’s laggard ways and architectural ingenuity, has also resulted in some original and creative responses. For example, raw design, an award-winning Toronto architecture and design firm has seized on that neglected space, incorporating it into the design of the new Panorama condo.

More.....http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/reales...47--panorama-takes-a-new-look-at-the-gardiner

the article mentions "playful design elements" under the Gardiner adjacent to this building, but thus far it looks like a slanted ashfault surface with some some small light poles. It is being used as parking for contractors right now. The article shows a rendering of the outdoor space on the podium, but what will the area under the Gardiner look like when completed? Are they planning anything else? I don't see any playful elements, and haven't seen any renders.

Seems like the spaces below the Gardiner are ideal for basketball courts, tennis courts, skate parks, maybe driving ranges or even an outdoor rock climbing wall....It is actually a lot quieter under the Gardiner beside Panorama than I expected, so it isn't unpleasant to hang out there.

This looks like the best building in CityPlace so far. Hopefully they plan on doing something with the exposed concrete pillars.

the article mentions "playful design elements" under the Gardiner adjacent to this building, but thus far it looks like a slanted ashfault surface with some some small light poles. It is being used as parking for contractors right now. The article shows a rendering of the outdoor space on the podium, but what will the area under the Gardiner look like when completed? Are they planning anything else? I don't see any playful elements, and haven't seen any renders.

Renders were posted several pages back.

Here is the Raw render of the area under the Gardiner from Khristopher's post #595. This doesn't clarify to me what this space will be used for other than to park a few cars. Do people on this board find this visually appealing?
raw designs urban room development to save Gardiner Expressway

The Gardiner Expressway in Toronto has been a bone of contention for some years. The City of Toronto has discussed the possibilty of removing the expressway and beautifying the waterfront and public space surrounding it but in spite of this there has been no progress to date. Architecture firm, raw design has decided to take the initiative and, instead of joining the rally to get rid of the Gardiner, is creating developments that utilise the neglected expressway.

Currently nearing completion, Panorama is the latest in a series of developments in the area, by developers Concord Adex, collectively known as CityPlace. The location of Panorama gave raw design principal Roland Rom Colthoff the impetus to revamp the dead space under the expressway into a large outdoor vestibule for residents. This is the first building to use the space beneath the Gardiner as an urban room and it will feature design elements by public artist Pierre Poussin. The design aims to incorporate the Gardiner as a fluid part of the city’s design for the future. Colthoff designed Panorama while working as principal at his previous firm Quadrangle Architects and the project is currently being seen through to completion by raw.

13352_1_panorama1big.jpg

13352_2_panorama2big.jpg

13352_3_panorama3big.jpg

Under the Gardiner I figure most people won't spend much more time here than it takes to take a look, so why not use some of the space for cars. If every parking lot implemented some creative design as such, I'd be happy; though I'd be happier if they were abolished altogether. This works though, and I wouldn't mind seeing a mix of spaces like this built under the Gardiner, spaces that we generally wouldn't build along the main streets of downtown. Stylized parking lots, skate parks, or perhaps there's a stretch we could stick an ice rink under. Stuff like that would be kind of cool.

Is the idea about using space under the Gardiner by having say a new condo's lobby take up the space like in the above pic actually being done?

Last edited:
Is the idea about using space under the Gardiner by having say a new condo's lobby take up the space like in the above pic actually being done?

The lobby is not under the Gardiner; the parking and landscaping is. Only the lobby render is under the under the Gardiner render!

Do people on this board find this visually appealing?

Those renders are pretty conceptual still - but it does look promising!

the article mentions "playful design elements" under the Gardiner adjacent to this building, but thus far it looks like a slanted ashfault surface with some some small light poles.

Don't hold your breath.

Apparently the city has great concerns about liability - should anything happen to fly off the Gardiner overhead. While Concord might want to build something underneath it, the city does not.

A few months ago I saw a presentation about a new bus parking/storage facility in Paris with residential above. Wouldn't the spaces under the Gardiner be ideal for storing TTC vehicles/equipment and other city road maintenance stuff? They could build a 2-3 level garage and incorporate retail at ground level. If the city is so worried about stuff flying off the highway and hitting someone, why are they allowing high density residential within a few meters of the highway? In fact, underneath seems more protected than beside the highway.

Last edited:

Back