Toronto Panda Condominiums | 107.59m | 30s | Lifetime | Turner Fleischer

In a way (though I wouldn't "victimize" the argument), it already has--i.e. the big brick box expansion to the rear...

Touché, at least it looks similar to the original building though. I meant more of a John Lyle Studio slapped-onto-a-condo facade.

I say tear it down, yes, it's an institution, but an ugly one that is long past it's prime, perhaps we could finally deter the group of stoned beggars that constantly sit out in front of the store harassing passers by. If done right, it could be the perfect spot for a tower to match, or perhaps, surpass Aura. Only problem is the Atrium's loading dock, perhaps they could put the new building entrance closest to yonge street instead of the middle, avoiding the mad rush of traffic, and the not so fragrant smell from the Atriums garbage room! Lol! I realize this is probably just a pipe dream, but it's such an ideal location for a new tower at least 50 +. Don't forget the Atrium was just approved to add an additional 4 floors, so if anything is built, it has to be tall.

Though I'd argue that if it were to make sense as an office building, it'd also have to buy out Yonge frontage--otherwise, "midblock" seems to demand primarily residential...

I think a building with retail on the first 2 or 3 floors with office above that, and condos above the office makes sense in this location. Maybe our first W hotel could also go in.

I remember buying my copy of The Satanic Verses there, on spring break, in the very early days of the fatwa, when copies were selling like hotcakes but stores wouldn't risk putting it on the shelves. You had to go to the cash and whisper "Do you have The Satanic Verses?"

I remember being a small child and having my dad drag me through this store every week (then Sam's right after). I used to hate it, but in retrospect I realize that it was some pretty good parenting. Strange how I hated the place so much as a kid and now the thought of redevelopment makes me feel all sentimental.

I wish they could move to a ground floor retail/commercial (i.e. small office) podium/residential tower model for the site.

AoD

I remember being a small child and having my dad drag me through this store every week (then Sam's right after). I used to hate it, but in retrospect I realize that it was some pretty good parenting. Strange how I hated the place so much as a kid and now the thought of redevelopment makes me feel all sentimental.

Yeah, I have similar memories like this, only my older siblings taking me. I think there was a really shabby looking jeans store around here too.

Even those of us in the younger generation have lost a significant number of our childhood landmarks. This period in our city's development will be looked back upon by planners and historians of the future, likely garnering a mixed response of awe and "wtf were they thinking". Kind of like how many of us look back at the 1960s-1980s redevelopment of the Financial District as both a monumental step forward for density and a monumental step backward for heritage preservation.

Back