Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

There actually only one half of a bigger piece. The other section is actually in ireland and has people leaving for a better life or fleeing, being deported because of crimes.
This is reason enough to visit Ireland -- something I have always wanted to do anyway

Great blog post from Waterfront Toronto with some background on the Garden of Future Follies (varicose vein sculpture) and other public art in the West Don Lands:
http://blog.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...lic-Art-Capped-Off-With-A-19th-Century-Garden

Garden of Future Follies is an intricate and playful homage to Toronto. It comprises 190 details, collected from over 80 different pre-existing monuments and architectural features from around the city, cast in bronze and composed within seven distinct sculptures. With names like Atlas, Caryatid, and Gargoyle, “all the sculptures are collaged fragments,” say the artists in a recent interview for The Artful City blog series. Hadley Howes continues, “Jack Layton’s smile is one of seven that grace a figure lounging atop a reconstituted mantel from the library at Osgoode Hall; a bell from St. James Cathedral’s famous collection is perched on a cannon from Fort York; while nearby a suitcase from the Memorial to Italian Immigrants acts as a plinth for a collection of hats from various bronze heads.”

And there's some info on where the weird textures came from:
Using a cinefoil process, Hadley+Maxwell pressed a thick aluminum foil material against the chosen objects, creating textured imprints of their shapes. The resulting aluminum impressions were subsequently used to create molds for the final bronze versions.

That description/context gives me a much greater appreciation for the work. Without that, it just seemed a bit creepy to me with the limbs and faces collaged together.

Loads of neat angles from which to shoot among the various installations in the 'hood.

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 8.39.35 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 8.39.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 8.39.35 PM.png
    730.6 KB · Views: 1,947
It's not crowded, but there is certainly a fair bit of pedestrian activity around. I imagine that will increase substantially once the retail really gets up and running in the neighbourhood. It appears that Tabulé will be ready in a couple of weeks, and Dark Horse and Sukothai in perhaps a month (some of the other spaces have signs but no evidence of activity, and a few of the spaces seem not to be leased yet).

Wasn't sure where to put these, hopefully I'm not too far off.

Taken today. Apparently "Wonscotonach" is the Mississauga First Nations name for the Don River. I think I like it better.

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 819
  • IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 844
  • IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 837
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 847
  • IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 855
  • IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 837
The painted ramp supports look great! Too bad they'll be gone in a couple years time. What I wonder is why did they paint up something that has such a short time left to remain…

Back