IMG_00000394.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,245
  • IMG_00000397.jpg
    IMG_00000397.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_00000399.jpg
    IMG_00000399.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,264
Driving down Jarvis last night I realized: this street needs WAY more density & high rises. It is this big, wide street that is very much under-built. Pace will be a good start to rectifying that.

Driving down Jarvis last night I realized: this street needs WAY more density & high rises. It is this big, wide street that is very much under-built. Pace will be a good start to rectifying that.

the problem with Jarvis is that it lacks retail. Considering its central location and the width of the streets, it should match the vibrancy of Spadina between King and College.
I don't think a few condo towers with podiums (RBC, BMO, please don't enter!) will help much. Good that they will bring more people, but it will still be too residential, which it shouldn't be. The street is very wide (5 lanes) and a lot more density could be added in between those low rise buildings, and the entire street should be rezone to accomodate more retail. Currently there is hardly any shops or restaurants.

I also hope for a streetcar line on Jarvis, just like on Spadina. Right now, it serves as a freeway for Rosedale/Moore Park. How unfortunately.

The first step is residential density. It will act as a nice catalyst for retail. The area is cleaning itself up and projects like Pace (even if it brings a bank or a similarly anticlimactic establishment) will make the area more attractive to the smaller retailers, who will move in to the older more affordable spaces. Ma and Pa shops and restaurant start-ups often can't afford the overhead of a new building.

Wow, even just the massing of the structure completely changes the feeling of that intersection. That horrid little plaza made it feel like some forgotten corner. The streetwall makes it look like it's an actual place

Back