Toronto Pace Condos | 146.3m | 42s | Great Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

They just need to shift that OLG ATM Variety Store sign over and it'll be fine.

Today:

28843755146_50526306f1_b.jpg

From Yonge and Bloor today.
IMG_2529.JPG
IMG_2530.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    827.5 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    912.5 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    948.6 KB · Views: 718
I find this to be one of the weakest towers to go up in the downtown in both design and execution. It's tall too. (feel like the taller, the weaker they get in Toronto)

I quite like the podium and the painted undersides are eye-catching. The form is typically boxy, but at least the proportions of the tower sleek and simple. It reminds me of 300 Front except they have done a better job with cladding. I think they could have done more with that prominent mechanical- perhaps an interesting lighting feature like Aura.

Passable in-fill. I'd like to see more efficient land use in this part of town though. I like the brick but it's rather short at only 146m. Put stuff like that on side streets not at an intersection like Jarvis and Dundas.

In 20 years we're going to look back at this as a poor use of valuable downtown land.

Last edited:
Yeah, I doubt in 20 years time this tower will be considered not dense enough for Jarvis and Dundas. There's 385 units at around 20 FSI.

Passable in-fill. I'd like to see more efficient land use in this part of town though. I like the brick but it's rather short at only 146m. Put stuff like that on side streets not at an intersection like Jarvis and Dundas.

In 20 years we're going to look back at this as a poor use of valuable downtown land.
Revisionist history much? No we're not. It's by far the tallest tower to have been built within a few blocks, so anyone who knows anything will recognize that one tower had to be the first tall one in the area, and this was it. Besides, we'll still be happy for having a variety of heights in the area, including buildings that are only 20 storeys, or even 3.

Last edited:
Height is subjective. I don't find 146 metres short by almost any standard. Not every building needs to aspire to be a Top 25, 50, 100 tallest tower.

Height shouldn't be confused with density. The majority of supertalls are built to a lower density than this as either the land they occupy is very large (comparably the entire block here down to Shuter) or, in Manhattan's case, the floor plate is so small that a 400 metre tower, 80 something storey tower basically has the same square footage as Pace.

20 times lot area will hopefully never be looked back upon as a poor use of space here.

Back