Toronto Pace Condos | 146.3m | 42s | Great Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

I could gladly live with all 3 of those buildings coming down. I see nothing of value in any of those buildings. We need to build much taller buildings anyway. The density is just not high enough for a large city's downtown core.

A new sign is up claming the project is 80% sold. Units still available "from the 300s".

Redeveloping those shops as one superblock is not too good of an idea. Really, some of those buildings might actually look decent cleaned up.

Not every old building necessarily has historical merit. These buildings have no merit, or have been butchered long time ago. I wouldn't mind at all if these get demolished for Phase II or for a future development. The old low-rise buildings along Dundas East in general are in horrible condition, it might be for the greater good of the area to just have mass replacement redevelopments.

They may not have historical designation but they add charactor to the fabric of the neighbourhood. We all know very well how so many condo retail areas are street killers, so keep some charactor and affordable rentals for good retail in a neighbourhood and keep the patch-work of buildings diverse.

Not sure what's going on here:

Attachments

• IMG-20110811-00183.jpg
    IMG-20110811-00183.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 666
attachment.php

Not sure what equipment that is...Are they breaking ground already?? That is fast, sales only started in 4 month ago..

Reading todays Saturday paper and the homes section has Pace listed at 39 stories. Sure would like to know if this is true.

There is also another Shrama cafe restaurant opening in the old coffee, i sure hope its run better and cleaner than that Ali Baba hole ot the corner of Church and Dundas which incidentillay I reported to the city's Dine Safely time so I guess no chance in hell the rest of the corner is coming down.

Today 'they' are demolishing the house/store just west of the firstdemo. Not sure if they are going to keep going to the corner of Mutual.

I'm pretty sure I saw recently that the building at the corner was just leased and a new cafe is moving in. Mounties doesn't appaer to be leaving either.

They may not have historical designation but they add charactor to the fabric of the neighbourhood. We all know very well how so many condo retail areas are street killers, so keep some charactor and affordable rentals for good retail in a neighbourhood and keep the patch-work of buildings diverse.

If "character" means outright ugly and cheap looking, then those buildings really help. Old buildings don't necessarily mean charm and characters, and in this case, it is particularly true.
I agree with you that too many condos are street killers (look at the waterfront disaster), but if designed well and mixed with retailers catered to mid and higher income folks, they increase the downtown density effectively and brings vibrance to the area. The whole east part of downtown Dundas and Queen St are so empty with an extraordinary number of rundown reddish 2-3 story buildings as well as a dozen gigantic parking lots as if they are located in some small town, instead of the downtown core of Canada's largest city. What a shame. This area should be busy and full of people, just like the west side between University and Spadina, but in reality, they look like a remote suburb. We are talking about prime locations in Toronto here.

Back