Toronto Pace Condos | 146.3m | 42s | Great Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

I just drove past and can confirm that there is shoring equipment on site.

Finally! If there is any street that needs to be redeveloped, it's Dundas East. It has such great potential, yet it's been left to fester, for so long. I think Pace will be transformational, for the whole surrounding neighbourhood.

Dundas East will be a gradual work in progress, with each section being revitalized step by step. The Dundas/Church intersection has improved in recent years, with large part due to Ryerson's emergence and expansion. New retail such as Santouka Ramen have added new energy in the area. Jarvis will be the next step. Three corners (possibly all four) will have a new development on it eventually, so the evolution of this intersection is quite dramatic. The gentrification will then continue to everything east of Jarvis to Sherbourne and beyond.

Incredibly excited? It may be D+S but this building sold for less than Charlie so I think they'll be cutting corners. What the street needs is good quality 6-8s stone & brick streetwall.

Hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad as Star of Downtown. Though the land and area's desirability is a lot less than King and Spadina.

Hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad as Star of Downtown. Though the land and area's desirability is a lot less than King and Spadina.

Huh?! What does this building have remotely to do with the Star of Downtown? How could a Great Gulf/Diamond Schmitt project be anywhere near as bad as that building? What a bizarre juxtaposition!

This condo development sold extremely well and yet, it's been over six months since we've heard anything about it. They have the permit to start digging so why would Great Gulf just let this site sit there and do nothing? The only thing I can surmise it that they are working on buying the rest of the block, which is in dreadful shape. Then they can make this large development, even bigger. One piece of good news is that right across the road (on the east side of Jarvis) the new Tim Horton's has opened and seems to be doing well. Now we wait for the west side to get things started. (both south and north of Dundas) There is no reason why Dundas East should remain such a degraded street. It's got an amazing location, so it's just a matter of time before things really take off.

Come on Great Gulf, get your ass moving!

Still no movement on the site.

I was surprised to see the horrible "Ho Lee chow" restaurant is finally gone too and replaced by a nicely renovated Tim Horton's. Although we want something more exciting, this small change already transformed the vibe of this corner quite a bit I would say. Is there anything being proposed at the NW side next to 222 Jarvis? that site is huge.

Walking down Jarvis, that empty lot at Shutter got no movement either. What has the developer being doing?

What I want most is for the horrible "auto service" on the SW of Queen/Jarvis to go. Fantastic site, purely suburban setting! It would be nice if that Discount car rental office and its lot can be replaced by something more pleasing as well.

I'm incredibly excited about this project. Not just because it's D+S (who did a great job with Charlie) but because this project has the potential re-animate this entire neighbourhood. Even though this area is a five minute walk from Yonge and Dundas Square, it often feels isolated and distant from the hustle and bustle of downtown.

Dundas East is begging to be redeveloped, so I hope this is just the start of the transformation.

Incredibly excited? It may be D+S but this building sold for less than Charlie so I think they'll be cutting corners. What the street needs is good quality 6-8s stone & brick streetwall.

Again, I'm not so much excited for this project in particular as I am for what it could mean for the neighbourhood in general, though I am expecting that it will be a very solid project.

I am with you.
I am excited about any new project happening in the Dundas/Queen East area, particularly west of Sherbourne St. I hope this neighbourhood will be gentrified and revitalized some day. Does the city have any plan to relocate some of the shelters? It is never a good idea to congregate them in one part of the city creating a man-made poverty enclave.

Finally! If there is any street that needs to be redeveloped, it's Dundas East. It has such great potential, yet it's been left to fester, for so long. I think Pace will be transformational, for the whole surrounding neighbourhood.

Dundas East will be a gradual work in progress, with each section being revitalized step by step. The Dundas/Church intersection has improved in recent years, with large part due to Ryerson's emergence and expansion. New retail such as Santouka Ramen have added new energy in the area. Jarvis will be the next step. Three corners (possibly all four) will have a new development on it eventually, so the evolution of this intersection is quite dramatic. The gentrification will then continue to everything east of Jarvis to Sherbourne and beyond.

right. this street has ‘great potential’. this is an ‘exciting’ project that will ‘revitalize’ this stretch of Dundas. further, ‘the gentrification will then continue to everything east of Jarvis to Sherbourne and beyond’

given all this enthusiasm, where does one propose that we put the approximately 4,000 homeless, indigent, marginal and/or drug addicted and/or mentally ill people that are now jammed into the area bounded by Carlton st, Richmond st, Church st and Parliament?

any thoughts on where we should send them, or what we should do with them, or how they might fit into this fantasy of gentrification?

http://linchpin.ca/content/Communit...-Poverty-Gentrification-Toronto039s-Downtow-0

I wonder if gentrification of Dundas east of Jarvis is possible, given the large number of TCHC houses, other rooming houses, subsidized apartment buildings like Moss Park close by, and social service agencies catering to the homeless and underhoused in the immediate area (that Anglican church at Dundas and Sherbourne, the Salvation Army and the aboriginal services office at Sherbourne and Queen, for example). It's politically impossible for TCHC to sell off any meaningful number of units, which effectively means the whole area bounded by Dundas, Jarvis, Queen and somewhere around Parliament will be frozen in time, with a massive concentration of social service agency clients. I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing, just that I wouldn't be a speculative buyer in the area even though it's so close to downtown.

right. this street has ‘great potential’. this is an ‘exciting’ project that will ‘revitalize’ this stretch of Dundas. further, ‘the gentrification will then continue to everything east of Jarvis to Sherbourne and beyond’

given all this enthusiasm, where does one propose that we put the approximately 4,000 homeless, indigent, marginal and/or drug addicted and/or mentally ill people that are now jammed into the area bounded by Carlton st, Richmond st, Church st and Parliament?

any thoughts on where we should send them, or what we should do with them, or how they might fit into this fantasy of gentrification?

http://linchpin.ca/content/Communit...-Poverty-Gentrification-Toronto039s-Downtow-0

Perhaps concentrating the city's largest homeless shelters, rooming houses and social services all into one area is the reason for the perpetual social problems. The article you posted recommends that these problems can be solved by simply adding even more affordable housing and more harm reduction services to the neighbourhood. I'm not sure how that doesn't create an even larger concentration of poverty into the area, thereby created an outright ghetto. The real solution is indeed mixed income neighbourhoods, but that doesn't just mean bringing middle income people into the neighbourhood, it means spreading affordable housing and social services around the city.

Perhaps concentrating the city's largest homeless shelters, rooming houses and social services all into one area is the reason for the perpetual social problems. The article you posted recommends that these problems can be solved by simply adding even more affordable housing and more harm reduction services to the neighbourhood. I'm not sure how that doesn't create an even larger concentration of poverty into the area, thereby created an outright ghetto. The real solution is indeed mixed income neighbourhoods, but that doesn't just mean bringing middle income people into the neighbourhood, it means spreading affordable housing and social services around the city.

Your correct, but the problem is no one wants them in their neighbourhood plus there's no political will to spread these folks and support services out around the city.

It's likely more accurate to say that a lot of people don't want them in their neighbourhood, but it's what should happen. I live on Homewood Avenue. One side of the street is condos/rentals, the other side social housing. People realize that it lowers their property values, but I've never heard anyone complain about them being there.

It's a far better scenario than a ghetto. People will be apprehensive about social housing next to them, but most get used to the idea and recognize that it's better this way. I can't see Rosedale or the Bridal Path ever accepting it in their neighbourhood though.

+2

Last edited:
work seem to have started
IMAG0563.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 902

Back