Toronto OVO Athletic Centre | ?m | 2s | MLSE | Baldwin & Franklin

Rather bland looking. Couldn't they have splurged a little and designed something that blended in with the architecture of the buildings surrounding it, somewhat maintaining the integrity of the location?

If this gets approved it will definitely sweeten the deal for free agents, knowing they can train in an authentic world class facilitiy by the lakeshore. It's not beautiful but it is very functional.

Imagine the possibilities: In a few years on the Raptors Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennet, and Kevin Durant.

Last edited:
If this gets approved it will definitely sweeten the deal for free agents, knowing they can train in an authentic world class facilitiy by the lakeshore. It's not beautiful but it is very functional.

Imagine the possibilities: In a few years on the Raptors Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennet, and Kevin Durant.

I am not sure why it has to be located on the Ex if it is purely about function - certainly there are better uses for higher value sites than that.

AoD

Yeah, one wonders if the western half of the CNE is a good site for a practice arena. That parking lot next door is a wasted opportunity as well. Landmark opportunities is written all over it.

Yeah, one wonders if the western half of the CNE is a good site for a practice arena. That parking lot next door is a wasted opportunity as well. Landmark opportunities is written all over it.

Especially considering the Leafs practice rink (Mastercard Arena) was way out in Etobicoke in some industrial area.

AoD

I wonder how it's going to effect the Arts & Crafts building. I love the dome and the over-all look of the building. Actually, all the historic buildings in the west part of the CNE are quite nice. (the Music Building, the Ontario Government Building, the Flower Building and the Arts & Crafts Building) Why put something that looks like a suburban shopping mall, in an area with beautiful, historic buildings, when it could go anywhere in the city? If it obscures the dome, that would be a travesty.

I wonder how it's going to effect the Arts & Crafts building. I love the dome and the over-all look of the building. Actually, all the historic buildings in the west part of the CNE are quite nice. (the Music Building, the Ontario Government Building, the Flower Building and the Arts & Crafts Building) Why put something that looks like a suburban shopping mall, in an area with beautiful, historic buildings, when it could go anywhere in the city? If it obscures the dome, that would be a travesty.

I dont know about effecting anything....this is going on Lakeshore Blvd. and British Columbia Road, Gardiner ramp to the west, and Gardiner Expy. to the north, the parking lot feels like its not part of anything... Haha with that lot gone, i wonder where the cops are going to gather for a smoke
http://goo.gl/maps/5cfyq

Why would free agents care about a training facility? I can't imagine any basketball player gives much thought to them.

Especially considering the Leafs practice rink (Mastercard Arena) was way out in Etobicoke in some industrial area.

AoD
It's actually right beside a high school, and residential neighbourhood. But it does sort of sit on the border of industrial to residential, with the train tracks (which are directly north of it), acting as the transition point.

I dont know about effecting anything....this is going on Lakeshore Blvd. and British Columbia Road, Gardiner ramp to the west, and Gardiner Expy. to the north, the parking lot feels like its not part of anything... Haha with that lot gone, i wonder where the cops are going to gather for a smoke
http://goo.gl/maps/5cfyq

It's not going on the parking lot. I also think you're not seeing the full potential of the parking lot with great access, amazing views, and seen by tens of thousands of people every day.

Having a parkway nearby never stopped anyone from developing decent properties directly beside it, much less something surrounded by parkland.

AoD

Back