Toronto OVO Athletic Centre | ?m | 2s | MLSE | Baldwin & Franklin

I sure hope you weren't expecting MLSE to mimic a beau-arts sports complex here?

We cant blame MLSE for that, the blame goes to Exhibition Place for allowing this type of sports venue architecture that has been built in Business Parks all across North America
They just should have said NO, and sent them 2 minutes north to Liberty Village which has an abundance amount of employment lands
Sure, but isn't financial performance one of the things the Ex board is charged with? We may not like the architecture of the Ricoh expansion, the hotel, BMO Field and the Biosteel centre....but they provide year round revenue and put the financial picture of the Ex in much better position and, in some way, ensure the survival of the Ex as a "thing" and, in turn, the viability of the other buildings that people seem to like.

That's not the point. We could have gotten all those things and quality architecture, if the board members did their job well. Instead we get third rate buildings in a prominent public place. This is what happens when $$$ and self interest are the only concern.

Sure, but isn't financial performance one of the things the Ex board is charged with? We may not like the architecture of the Ricoh expansion, the hotel, BMO Field and the Biosteel centre....but they provide year round revenue and put the financial picture of the Ex in much better position and, in some way, ensure the survival of the Ex as a "thing" and, in turn, the viability of the other buildings that people seem to like.

Don't forget Hotel X, and the trashing of the Horticulture Building for the Muzik nightclub.

Is the Raptor's practice facility really that much of revenue generator for the City?

This just looks like MLSE trying to get some free land, and our useless politicians allowing it.

Is the Raptor's practice facility really that much of revenue generator for the City?

This just looks like MLSE trying to get some free land, and our useless politicians allowing it.
I have never seen the land lease...but I think there is one (so on top of the $30 mil construction cost...I don't think anyone is getting "free land").....and whatever revenue it is generating it is more than what was there before and since I have not heard of any other proposals for the site....better than all the alternatives (from a revenue generation perspective).

EDIT: google is my friend, CBC reported the land lease is an annual cost of $205k

I have never seen the land lease...but I think there is one (so on top of the $30 mil construction cost...I don't think anyone is getting "free land").....and whatever revenue it is generating it is more than what was there before and since I have not heard of any other proposals for the site....better than all the alternatives (from a revenue generation perspective).

EDIT: google is my friend, CBC reported the land lease is an annual cost of $205k
And don't forget about the community uses of the facility with the courts available to the public certain times of the day. Positive to the community with no other real community Center style buildings in the area that I can think of

All-star weekend is days away. Any updates on this facility as it's supposed to be completed in time for the weekend-long event?

Why not?, when Toronto is hosting one of the biggest sports events in North America, after all it is a Raptor sports facility and they would like to showcase it
I guess you know very little about basketball
It is a practice court and a gym (essentially) which is going to replace the existing practice court and gym on a larger scale.....and it is very (very) important to the future of the Raptors as a team/franchise.....but there is not a ton of practicing or gym work done at the NBA (any league really) all star game and that which is done can be done on the existing practice court and, since the arena is set up in basketball mode a full week in advance this week....the court at the ACC is also available.

It is nice that it is done....but there is no necessity that it be done prior to the All Star game....but, heck, what do I know?

It is nice that it is done....but there is no necessity that it be done prior to the All Star game....but, heck, what do I know?
You do have a point, I thought the only reason they were pushing for that deadline was so they could have it in use for some of the events for the All-Star Weekend (smaller events that is). But all of the events are happening at various buildings at the EX, ACC, and Roundhouse Park. That's unless MLSE is restricting its use for top secret VIP events which is possible.

Or just in time to quietly showcase it to Kevin Durant (or others) as part of the recruiting pitch for this coming off-season. :)

It's funny that we've had an awesome, relatively mild winter but when tons of Americans will be heading up here, this weekend's weather will just (coincidentally) confirm what they already think: it's always frigid in Canada!!! But at least they will see that we live in actual housing and not igloos.

Back