Toronto OVO Athletic Centre | ?m | 2s | MLSE | Baldwin & Franklin

Sigh. The Ex used to set high standards for architecture. Obviously that long tradition is utterly dead.

The architecture of the training plex kind of resembles the performance of the team, I suppose.

AoD

Ermmm.... likely not. Unless you are trying to say the complex is looking good
Capture.JPG
:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,886
Indeed - compare and contrast this and the Boulevard Club addition by Teeple. The architecture of the training plex kind of resembles the performance of the team, I suppose.

AoD

This isn't being built for the Leafs ;)

Right I forgot about the MasterCard Centre in my previous post, whoops. Does anyone have any idea how the TFC practice facility looks like? Maybe we can go 5/5 on cheapened out, mediocre at best MLSE buildings.

Drive by from Thursday:
2015-12-17 15.43.18.jpg
2015-12-17 15.43.14.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-12-17 15.43.18.jpg
    2015-12-17 15.43.18.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 2,958
  • 2015-12-17 15.43.14.jpg
    2015-12-17 15.43.14.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 1,499
It looks like something that belongs to a 905 business park.

As a frame of reference I Google image searched a dozen or so practice facilities throughout the NBA and NHL none of them were impressive. Most are concrete bunkers that are indeed located in business parks.

Last edited:
As a frame of reference I Google image searched a dozen or so practice facilities throughout the NBA and NHL none of them were impressive. Most are concrete bunkers that are indeed located in business parks.

The important thing is that those examples are located in a business park, not next to an area populated with beaux-arts buildings, for one.

AoD

Your kidding ehh, a couple beau-arts bldgs. in an unkind area, surrounded between a highway, and an 8-lane express boulevard:eek:, is not an example either

So to correct the "unkind" area and 8 lane express blvd, let's turn to industrial park "architecture" to placemake. The circular logic is mind baffling.

AoD

I sure hope you weren't expecting MLSE to mimic a beau-arts sports complex here?

We cant blame MLSE for that, the blame goes to Exhibition Place for allowing this type of sports venue architecture that has been built in Business Parks all across North America
They just should have said NO, and sent them 2 minutes north to Liberty Village which has an abundance amount of employment lands

I sure hope you weren't expecting MLSE to mimic a beau-arts sports complex here?

We cant blame MLSE for that, the blame goes to Exhibition Place for allowing this type of sports venue architecture that has been built in Business Parks all across North America
They just should have said NO, and sent them 2 minutes north to Liberty Village which has an abundance amount of employment lands

Good analysis. You want a concrete bunker worthy of an office park? Put it in an office park. It's part of the reason the Mastercard Centre doesn't bother me. It's located in a semi-industrial pocket of Etobicoke.

Back