Toronto Rail Deck District | 227.23m | 70s | Craft Dev Corp | Sweeny &Co

I wish they would connect Portland to Dan Leckie, there aren't enough roads crossing the rail tracks.
the bridge honestly needed to be designed better years ago. It's way too small nowadays
It's one of the reason why I'm such in favour of this project. it really connects both sides of the rail corridor. The bridge works, but this would be transformational for the area

I don’t think this project is as far off as many might think. It’s certainly going to be *expensive* but it isn’t unprecedented internationally, and I wouldn’t be shocked that downtown could support this nowadays. My support of this project comes down to one detail; can they build the park so it is seamless with the grades of the adjacent streets? If staircases are (geometrically) required to clear the rail corridor+wires no matter what (at the very least at more than 50% of the prominent access points) then this is DOA.

I really do think we are debating getting Jackson Square or Central Park here (hyperbole on both), and if the experience to reaching this space is remotely close to the former then the park will fail point blank. I’m sure this has been addressed by the many diligent members who cover these things, but this has gone through so many iterations I can’t keep up.

If it’s just all towers by the end of it then I don’t care, do whatever- it’s on the developers dime. But the city cannot be roped into something that will suck. And everyone knows a differentially-graded public space will suck.

I don’t think this project is as far off as many might think. It’s certainly going to be *expensive* but it isn’t unprecedented internationally, and I wouldn’t be shocked that downtown could support this nowadays. My support of this project comes down to one detail; can they build the park so it is seamless with the grades of the adjacent streets? If staircases are (geometrically) required to clear the rail corridor+wires no matter what (at the very least at more than 50% of the prominent access points) then this is DOA.

I really do think we are debating getting Jackson Square or Central Park here (hyperbole on both), and if the experience to reaching this space is remotely close to the former then the park will fail point blank. I’m sure this has been addressed by the many diligent members who cover these things, but this has gone through so many iterations I can’t keep up.

If it’s just all towers by the end of it then I don’t care, do whatever- it’s on the developers dime. But the city cannot be roped into something that will suck. And everyone knows a differentially-graded public space will suck.
It’s amazing the downgrade from previous plans. Almost criminal. It’s not even the lack of of well designed modern parks & public spaces squeezed in to these renderings, but the buildings themselves look pedestrian & boring, shocking to see for such a big project. Didn’t notice one stand out building or space. But I do think it will get built sooner than later. Just hoping for significant upgrades to these plans.

It’s amazing the downgrade from previous plans. Almost criminal. It’s not even the lack of of well designed modern parks & public spaces squeezed in to these renderings, but the buildings themselves look pedestrian & boring, shocking to see for such a big project. Didn’t notice one stand out building or space. But I do think it will get built sooner than later. Just hoping for significant upgrades to these plans.
Lucky for you, these are all only placeholders for zoning and won't be the final product. Bad part is, that doesn't mean it'll be better than this either.

...with my understanding of the elements involved here, this might be a blessing in disguise.

It could use a concert hall.
It could use a bowling alley, movie theatres, a unique arts venue or a branch or two of some international museum.
It could use subsidized artist studios that could accommodate everything from painting to industrial sculpture to video. Maybe some architecturally fabulous places of worship. It could use a water attraction, a greenhouse park, a new community center.
It could use some pleasure, some passion and some unique play and good spaces for these things.
It's an opportunity to compensate for all the amenities, places and pleasures that have not been included in the last fifteen years of the condo boom, of it's thinning of third places.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could use a concert hall.
It could use a bowling alley, movie theatres, a unique arts venue or a branch or two of some international museum.
It could use subsidized artist studios that could accommodate everything from painting to industrial sculpture to video. Maybe some architecturally fabulous places of worship. It could use a water attraction, a greenhouse park, a new community center.
It could use some pleasure, some passion and some unique play and good spaces for these things.
It's an opportunity to compensate for all the amenities, places and pleasures that have not been included in the last fifteen years of the condo boom, of it's thinning of third places.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Beautifully put. Some great ideas there.

Back