Innisfil Orbit | ?m | 40s | Cortel Group | Arcadis

Walt's world was always a bit Orwellian with plushies, to put it mildly...

There has been some more public engagement on this:

On further reflection, this plan feels pretty wrong to me. I am reminded of Houten as a way of building a 'new town' as transit oriented development, while being realistic about serving the car.

It achieves a similar population density (150 people+jobs/hectare) with mainly lowrise/midrise in about 8.5 sqkm around two rail stations, encircled by ring roads, where the interior of the rings do not allow through traffic--cars have to go the ring road to get to another part of the town--but is permeable for walking and biking. Everyone is within 1.5 km (15 min) walk of the train station. They get very good non-car mode share for most trips, despite most residents owning cars: still used for grocery shopping but not other shopping trips.

I really like that you've pointed out the Houten counter-example to this Innisfil proposal. It really demonstrates the flaws with the hierarchy of transport and land use in this development conception. The proposed road network is also a mess for internal movement.

The more I look at this project, the more I see an unambitious, uninspiring suburb, and that while Partisans might have an impressive portfolio of architectural projects, they have no business with master-planning a complete community.

I've noticed no project pictures have been posted in this thread for posterity, only links to other pages that might go down in the future. So here are some from the Partisans webpage:

1610406223138.png
1610406233124.png

1610406242420.png

1610406257999.png

I have no clue what they are trying to depict here below. I suppose their design intent. It's the same rendering as above, but again, will upload for posterity.

1610406282927.png

This honestly looks pretty lazy. Like a university student thesis or the cover of Popular Science (throw in a flying car) and meant to 'look cool' rather than actually be livable.

1610406223138-png.293622

I guess it is worth calling out that the MZO only covers a 425m radius centred on the GO station, and the area beyond that, and much of what you see in the above renders, is purely conceptual. Just those innermost 3 circles. The rest will be covered by a secondary plan. The circular & radial road network is a particularly bad idea as conceived. You don't want people driving to that GO station!

I have no clue what they are trying to depict here below. I suppose their design intent. It's the same rendering as above, but again, will upload for posterity.

View attachment 293626

That rendering is nonsense - spiced up to look like it is some sci-fi, volumetric display to conflate a subdivision to a solar system with some gratuitous spheres and drones floating around. Am I supposed to feel it is "high-tech"? Because it isn't - and doesn't.

AoD

I'm more concerned with how they lay the foundation for this community. I don't think having a high speed arterial running directly to the station through this community is a good idea. You can still provide car access, but maybe with a road that parallels the rail ROW (which is already a barrier anyway). Through traffic should be impossible or very inconvenient, to push it to the other two parallel concessions. I like the idea of ring roads to push the arterial roads to the perimeter of the community, enabling the area around the station to be walkable/livable, and not a highway.

Way to stay positive bud!
Assuming you are being serious, there have been a myriad of fantastical projects renendered through modern history which never saw the light of day. I think Mr. Towered is, like many of us, is more being realistic here.

...but if you want a positive spin, then let's say we would likely be very surprised if this does see the light of day.

If you're not being serious, my apologies. As you where then...

Assuming you are being serious, there have been a myriad of fantastical projects renendered through modern history which never saw the light of day. I think Mr. Towered is, like many of us, is more being realistic here.

...but if you want a positive spin, then let's say we would likely be very surprised if this does see the light of day.

If you're not being serious, my apologies. As you where then...

Mr. Towered - that gave me quite the internal chuckle beneath my work-induced pokerface.

Back