Innisfil Orbit | ?m | 40s | Cortel Group | Arcadis

Ha, this will never be built.

Nor should it be.

The way in which the not-built-on landscape is organized in this 'fantasy' significantly reduces ecological benefits vs what I would hope for in an ambitious master planned community.

Having lots of random lawns as court yards is just odd.

Lots of relatively dead space.

The one argument for something like it would be rain gardens in the midst of each block; but that's not what is shown, nor is it necessary to deliver that benefit in that way.

Maximizing biodiversity and functions of temperature management, air quality and water quality are best served by two design elements; the first is large-scale contiguous forest, ideally along a natural watercourse out to the Lake; both maximizing diverse habitat, but also affording nutrient-load management benefits to water quality amongst other benefits.

The forest shown above is fragmented by mowed grass, and roads, and fails to connect to the Lake.

The secondary measure that's desirable there is to shade roads/sidewalks both to reduce the heat-island effect they throw off; but also to make walking pleasant. No such streetscape is shown.

As others have noted, the layout is also not ideal for efficient walkability, public transport etc; and thereby surprisingly car centric.

The concept, in theory, is nice; but even the high level details are dubious; not to mention unrealistic.

Besides, the best way to design a community is with a mixed income IMO. But this project looks like it's only interested in folks who can afford to live in Mizrahi's, The One. /sigh

I think you all are reading way too much into the design of the buildings--that is just concept filler. Only the inner ~15-20% around the station is actually being contemplated at this stage as part of the MZO. Beyond that is a secondary plan which will hopefully be less laughable than this. I'm more concerned that they are going to make some foundational mistakes around the GO station by leaving a high speed arterial running right by it. If we're starting with a blank slate TOD, we can do better.

Story today on the declining health of Lake Simcoe and conservation groups and others worried that population growth mandates and infrastructure will do irreparable harm.

Behind the paywall:

Apparently Orbit's backers are waiting on an MZO..........

While in the meantime, the Minister issued one for this...................(from the article)

Last month, a hearing took place for an MZO for an automotive innovation park in Oro-Medonte that requires the removal of six hectares of wetlands and six hectares of woodland. :mad:

Last edited:
Story today on the declining health of Lake Simcoe and conservation groups and others worried that population growth mandates and infrastructure will do irreparable harm.

Behind the paywall:

Apparently Orbit's backers are waiting on an MZO..........

While in the meantime, the Minister issued one for this...................(from the article)

Last month, a hearing took place for an MZO for an automotive innovation park in Oro-Medonte that requires the removal of six hectares of wetlands and six hectares of woodland. :mad:
...despite all those psudo green fantastical renders, the Devil has finally shown its hand! As I now hope that this project rots in a special place in Hell, as well as never seeing the light of day.

Seems like FUD, but perhaps it is warranted. Not knowing what the wastewater or stormwater management plans for the site are is not evidence they will be irresponsible. And I find it hard to believe that this site is going to be uniquely harmful compared to all the other urban space or homes on Lake Simcoe.

A couple of media reports on the above:

Back