Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

I don't think the location is that bad, but the main hurdle is probably psychological.

It's separated by the third degree (City >Gardiner> Ex >Lakeshore> Ontario Place) from the rest of the city.

Depends upon how far the Ontario Place or Exhibition Station on the proposed Ontario Line will be located from Ontario Place itself. If we still have a l-o-n-g safari across an asphalt desert to reach Ontario Place, we will still have the current problem with transit, if they don't improve it.

I don't think the location is that bad, but the main hurdle is probably psychological.

It's separated by the third degree (City >Gardiner> Ex >Lakeshore> Ontario Place) from the rest of the city.

This is still true but in transition. Trillium Park connected Ontario Place to the city from the East, creating a continuous route from the Waterfront to Coronation Park, through Trillium Park into Ontario Place.

From the North, the Fort York Bridge, coupled with The Bentway and with the densification of the Fort York and Liberty Village neighbourhoods are eliminating the psychological obstacle of the rail corridor and Gardiner. Exhibition Place is also seeing urbanization with the hotel and upcoming landscaping, turning parts of the Ex grounds into a park and square.

Lake Shore is still a problem as are the parking lots along it in front of Ontario Place. Land bridges planned to go over Lake Shore and development of those parking lots will start to solve that remaining obstacle.

This is still true but in transition. Trillium Park connected Ontario Place to the city from the East, creating a continuous route from the Waterfront to Coronation Park, through Trillium Park into Ontario Place.

From the North, the Fort York Bridge, coupled with The Bentway and with the densification of the Fort York and Liberty Village neighbourhoods are eliminating the psychological obstacle of the rail corridor and Gardiner. Exhibition Place is also seeing urbanization with the hotel and upcoming landscaping, turning parts of the Ex grounds into a park and square.

Lake Shore is still a problem as are the parking lots along it in front of Ontario Place. Land bridges planned to go over Lake Shore and development of those parking lots will start to solve that remaining obstacle.

The city has to bury the parking lot at Exhibition Place, and the province has to bury the parking lot at Ontario Place. With green space on top, and then think about putting in the extras, such as recreation, entertainment, and maybe little shops to line the way between transit and Ontario Place.

What will happen to the CNE if those parking lots are developed?

The city has to bury the parking lot at Exhibition Place, and the province has to bury the parking lot at Ontario Place. With green space on top, and then think about putting in the extras, such as recreation, entertainment, and maybe little shops to line the way between transit and Ontario Place.

We don't need the parking at Exhibition Place. It's been kept as a parking lot because that's the only other use for a large open space that is reserved for the CNE once a year. The city needs to look at a year long use of the space that is designed in a way that they can add carnival items. Lining Princes' Blvd. with buildings like they've done with the convention centre on one side and the hotel on the other, while maintaining a wide road and very wide sidewalks with green space, is the right approach. That allows space for lining the road with temporary booths and games in the median. Building a public square in a section can be used to place larger rides during the CNE.

We don't need the parking at Exhibition Place. It's been kept as a parking lot because that's the only other use for a large open space that is reserved for the CNE once a year. The city needs to look at a year long use of the space that is designed in a way that they can add carnival items. Lining Princes' Blvd. with buildings like they've done with the convention centre on one side and the hotel on the other, while maintaining a wide road and very wide sidewalks with green space, is the right approach. That allows space for lining the road with temporary booths and games in the median. Building a public square in a section can be used to place larger rides during the CNE.

The current parking lot is used for not only for the CNE, but the Royal Winter Fair, trade shows at the current various buildings, the Honda Indy, and the sports at BMO Field.

Burying the Exhibition & Ontario Place parking, and covering it with parkland, should be best. Maybe include ventilation for any tailgate parties, and with unsubsidized parking rates to pay for it.

You are inside my head, I've been thinking that for years.
I also think it's time to call the CNE quits. It's become a sad excuse for a kind of rite of passage for young parents to slag their kids around to play mind-numbing games and get onto ancient rides just as my parents did for me & my brothers, and their parents did for them. Is the CNE really important to our local culture? It was, however I'm not at all convinced it is anymore. I expect to be flamed for suggesting such a radical idea, and that's OK.

To cover the parking lots (and Lake Shore Blvd. West) at Exhibition Place & Ontario Place, we would be digging to be NEARLY level with Lake Shore Blvd.. I say NEARLY, because currently that rainwater falling onto the parking lots flow onto Lake Shore Blvd. West and FLOOD it. That rainwater should be percolating into the ground instead of immediately flooding onto Lake Shore Blvd. West.

From link. Posted June 25, 2019 6:55 am and updated June 25, 2019 9:33 am.

Flooding on Lake Shore Boulevard after heavy rain overnight in Toronto

lake-shore-blvd-flooding.png

Heavy rain in Toronto overnight caused some flooding on lanes along Lake Shore Boulevard West between Ontario Drive and Remembrance Drive.

As of very early Tuesday morning, two right lanes were blocked – one lane going eastbound and one lane going westbound – due to flooding.

By 8 a.m., Lake Shore Boulevard had fully re-opened.

On Monday at 4:30 p.m. the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority issued a flood and shoreline hazard warning.

The TRCA said that the showers and thunderstorms could deliver rainfall amounts of up to 35 to 45 millimeters within TRCA watersheds.

City crews were on scene all morning cleaning up the water.

In the covering up the parking lots and Lake Shore Blvd. West, we could add stormwater tanks to control the runoff.

Article behind The Star's paywall suggests 3 proposals are under review by the province.

"Provincial sources have suggested the favourite in the running is a proposal from Therme Group, an Austria-based developer of glass-encased “wellness resorts” with real palm trees surrounding pools, saunas, indoor beaches and water slides."

That sounds, and looks, horrific.

Back